Author Topic: Sister staves  (Read 26656 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Sister staves
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 07:38:20 am »
I plane on getting started on one of these this weekend,just don't know witch one to start on,One I plane on snake skins when finished and wanted to make a matching pair but one has a knot hole in it and don't want to cover it up.Decisions  ???   decisions it's always something in this bow building stuff. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 10:04:30 am »
First, I saw Manfred and his wife at Compton gathering in Mich. Recognized him from your pics from Cloverdale and I have to say that I can understand your incentive to split his stave well. Big guy!
Now back to my question on the knot and snakeskin. Is it possible to lay the skin over the hole and then use scissors to pierce the skin at that spot and make short cuts that will allow you to glue the skin into the hole? Just a thought.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 12:20:53 pm »
Great pictures, Pappy! Good story.  I got to get me a stave like those. I'm very envious.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 12:40:23 pm »
Tracy I hadn't really thought of that but might be a good idea.OldBow they are kind of few
and far between,everyone thinks I have a bunch of them but you only get some with that much snake once in a while,that is why I tried so hard to get 3 out of that piece of wood.So far so
good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DCM

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 03:19:32 pm »
The perfectly wretched stuff is more scarce than the perfectly straight stuff, which is darn near unheard of, ain't it Pappy.  Curious to see what you come up with.  Straight clean bows get boring pretty fast.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 06:10:46 am »
It really is David.I got started on the one with the hole last night.I think I will work on the
together.I plan to get them thinned and reflexed and straightened this week end if all goes
well.It is good clean wood just snaky. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DCM

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 10:10:24 am »
I split a winged elm night before last, about 10" on the butt end.  90 degrees of twist running 40" of it's lenght, and the other end (40" as well) straight as a string.  I think I'm gonna part it in the middle and leave 4 sets of billets.  Winged elm is the one wood I've found that is as naturally knarly and wretched as osage.  Vine maple or Guava may be the only other two, but not native to our area.  It was an absolute beast to split.  Folks who complain about splitting osage ain't obviously ain't fooled with elm.  But I love character wood, so I ain't skeared.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 11:25:15 am »
I have split some Elm,don't know what kind but it was tough.Osage to me ant much trouble if it ant just riddled wit knots.On the elm I was just splitting fire wood so I suppose a stave would be a bear. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Robinwho

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 01:55:53 am »
You lucky devil, those are nice staves , I would love to buy one, LOL
We don't get osage down here at all.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 12:17:09 pm »

While Jeff was off showing Pappy a couple of hickory trees Jeff and I had marked for cutting, I was thinning one of the chubby sisters (per Pappy's request) just prior to my sealing it with shellac to later allow Pappy to steam and straighten her. Pappy is going to accuse me of causing a check in the handle...don't believe him, I'm sure it was already there! ;) Pappy don't see none to good you understand... ;)

By the way...Pappy makes me do most of the hard work on his bows by threatening to bar me from the dutch oven meals...and he takes all the credit! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 07:05:10 am »
Y athe check was not deep and came out when I worked the handle out.Got one steamed and straightened this weekend and it turned out nice.Now it is ready for nocks and tillering.I will get
on that this week I hope.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Robinwho

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 11:12:56 am »
Looking good !

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 03:56:29 pm »
Your place look kinda lonely without 400 people milling around.  Is your friend making a primitive coat rack there?  Looks like the heat bending went well, when I first read that I wondered if you were gonna take out all the snakiness.  hehe
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 06:17:39 pm »
IMPRESSIVE Pappy!!... 8)...I wish to have Osage wood here too my friend, that yellow colour is NICE, and the caracter of these sisters bows you´re working on is simply OUTSTANDING!!... :) :)...
Thanks for share mate!!
Cheers...
Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 05:58:46 am »
I bet with heat Lennie you could if you had a mind to.These were some nice clean stave's
just snaky,Asier we do have a lot of Osage but not a lot like these they are few and far
between.I have one ready to start tillering and plan on getting the other ready to bend and straighten tonight and Wend.before I go home to celebrate the 4th.Now whats for supper
tonight. ;D ;D Yall have a great 4th.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good