Author Topic: Sister staves  (Read 26589 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Sister staves
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 08:00:43 am »
Very nice Pappy. Just a little bit of character :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Little John

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 10:22:04 am »
You do beautiful work Pappy. I am anxious to see the end results. Awsome staves.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 05:58:19 am »
Thanks,I am ready to start tillering this weekend.It had a couple of humps I wanted to get out if I could so I put it back on the form Tuesday evening and got most of it then cut the nocks and
now ready for long string and the tiller stick.Hope to get it shooting soon. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 11:17:34 am »
Pappy, now you will be an international star.  You will have half of Europe coming to Clarkesville to learn how you do your magic on osage staves.  This was a great story.  I wish I could have been there to see you work.

Dan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 11:40:44 am »
Me to ,we missed you.Hopefully next year. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 07:59:24 am »
Well I didn't get it finished this weekend but did manage to get the humps mostly out and up to brace,It needed a little more work to line the handle up so I got it tweaked a little and ready to brace again.Also got some tip overlays glued on and ready to work down.I usually do that last but had some free time while it was cooling down so I put them on.Here it is on the stick and then at brace.Not looking to bad.Just having to be careful not to get to much bend at the fades just yet.
I save that for last.Like Lennie said in another thread a little set there goes a long way and with
 the snaky stuff it is easy to get to much quick. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 01:25:26 am »
Pappy, That braced profile looks sweet. ;) Start bringing the outer portion around as your draw increases and...BINGO!...another Pappy winner.   I've worked 3 bows lately that have almost beat me...but not quite. ;)  Those are the ones we learn from.  8)       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 06:02:07 am »
Thats why I like them Pat.When you do do a good straight piece it make them go smooth. :)
Well at least most of the time it dose. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

makete

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 11:24:02 am »
Pappy in photo 1774 there is gentleman standing by some logs with small branches in them that dont look natural. Have seen them in other photos from you and was wondering what they are. Climbing sticks? Coat racks like someone else suggested? Or??????????????? Thanks.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 11:52:39 am »
makete they are 3 poles cut from small poplar trees and then drilled with pegs in 2 of them
then lashed together6/8 inches from the top and you can spread them out like a tripod and
we lay or bows and stave's on them for display works good and looks pretty cool also.

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 11:53:32 am »
Kind of like that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 06:33:40 am »
Got it out to 44@ 22 this weekend but with the shoot going on couldn't get it finished tillered.
Hope to finish the tiller this week.I will post some pictures in a few days.Shooting for low 50's@26.
so it is getting close.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 08:10:11 am »

hi pappy!  -  i'd like to ask 2 questions:

1. the bending jig, how big is the reflex of it? 4 inches?
2. the tiller looks like nice bend towards the handle and still stiff in the outer limbs; is that a good way of working the tiller from the handle towards the tip?? - i always tried to get the overall limb to more and more bend, but maybe this makes more sence?!

man these bows will be COOOOL...

frank

ps: i worked some on my osagebow last week. seems to come around nicely but i'm going really slow. i'll post pics soon...
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 08:47:48 am »
The pictures was the very first bend on the tiller stick,I got off the handle area and have been
working the rest of the limbs to get them working,I usuall try and save the fades and handle
area till last.If you get set there it really shows up a lot so I go easy on that.The jig that this was put on has about 3-4 inches of back set.We have some that will put 6 inches or more depending
on how much it hold after heating.I usually do 2 to 4 in. and that seems to be enough.These
snaky staves you have to go slow,for some reason in the snake areas they will hinge very
easy.I don't know if the wood is weak in that area or not but I do know if you ant careful
you will get a hinge there quick.I usuall try and tiller them in 3 or 4 sessions with a lot of rest
and exercising in between.I will post some pictures in a day or 2 and see what yall think so far.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

makete

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 09:26:32 am »
That display frame looks "REAL" cool. You guy are genuises and very adaptable. Thanks for the reply and explaination. Can see some other uses for something like this.