Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 6994 times)

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Oblivion
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 01:31:58 pm »
beautiful bow for sure. stain job and grip are the stand-outs to me. tiller is really  nice as well. lokks like he is getting a kick out of pulling it back.....now he can understand better what he is writing about, tell him good luck in the book!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline degoins

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »
Great looking bow!!

Offline dbb

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 04:56:27 pm »
Just have to agree with everybody else,its a beauty!

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 11:28:28 pm »
Thanks everyone! 

He said it's too nice to take hunting.  ;D  He doesn't want to scratch it.   I told him he would need to come to my house and make one to hunt with then.

John Hoare - It shoots really really well.  When I gave it too him we did some shooting for a few hours then took these pics.  I have to admit I was a little jealous because it seems to shoot better than all my other bows.  Which is a good thing but....I gotta make another one for myself now.  :D   I've found that when I'm making a bow for someone else I do a better job than when I'm making one for me.  Sounds like you have some nice bows yourself.  Have you posted them?

toomanyknots -  Thanks! Yeah I've played the game quite a bit too.  I like the pc version because you can use mods.  I found one for archers and it ads more bows and different types of arrows to the game.  I've also spent hours on end not even following the main quest...just wandering around doing other stuff.  I hate the difficulty feature too.  I just ignore it and have fun.  The next one is coming out in November I think.  It's called Skyrim.  It looks cool. 

Parnell -  Thanks.  yeah It was so cool to put in the effort and see the reaction when you give them their bow.  I've actually been working on one for my younger brother for HIS birthday and will be giving it to him soon. 

ErictheViking - Cool avatar / screen name by the way.  Thanks!  yeah he was really having fun shooting that bow.  He's been asking me tons of questions about archery and how bows are made for his novel.  It will be cool if he captures some of what we all love to do.  Thanks again!  I'll tell him!

Thanks again Everyone!

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 12:50:34 am »
very nice work , excellent tiller , you've come a long way !!

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 01:04:56 am »
  Nice job all the way around, your brother looks thrilled, great job!

Lombard

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 11:27:24 am »
Congratulations on a fine bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 12:00:52 pm »
That really is a beauty of a bow! Nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NTProf

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 12:09:50 pm »
Is this from a board or stave? Either way, simply gorgeous looking bow! Hard to improve on that!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 12:59:58 pm »
Ken -  Thanks! That means a lot. 

Badger, Lombard, Jawge.  Thank you very much!

NTProf - Thanks! It's from a board.  Pretty much all my bows are from boards... would love to try a stave one day... 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline NTProf

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 02:14:11 pm »
All my bows are fron boards, too. I love board bows! Can't get away from them. Again, yours is an exceptional one.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 03:42:21 am »
NTProf - Thanks again.  I like board bows a lot too.  I have too admit it's nice to be able to go to the hardwood lumber yard and pick through stacks of various kinds of wood all in a few hours.  I even saw some osage lumber...though I'm not sure the selection they had would be good for a bow...but I don't know. 

I live in Arizona and I'm not sure yet what kind of trees we have here that could make good bows...some day I'll do some research I guess.

Scott D - Thanks man.  I tried really hard to make the handle nice...I'm glad it turned out.  I did kind of a hybrid braided handle (I think that's what it's called) I got the leather wet and then wrapped it with a rope real tight around the bow and let it dry for two days. Thanks again.

Offline John hoare

• John Eric Hoare
    • http://www.lulu.com
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 05:05:44 pm »
Arrowind, I have written an article on my pickax handle, linen backed, wrapped nocks flatbow bow for the primitive archer magazine with photos and a detailed handle drawing. You should see it as soon as the editor has space. John

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 10:47:30 pm »
Arrowind, I have written an article on my pickax handle, linen backed, wrapped nocks flatbow bow for the primitive archer magazine with photos and a detailed handle drawing. You should see it as soon as the editor has space. John

Awesome.  Can't wait to check it out.  It sounds interesting.  Thanks.