Author Topic: Arrow cresting jig: LEGO style  (Read 12238 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Arrow cresting jig: LEGO style
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:39:19 pm »
Do you have a child who is generous with their toys?  How about a child who is getting out of legos?  If so you will have interest in this arrow cresting jig.   I got the idea from the book Bow Accessories by Vokmar Hubschmann.   It is a book published in Germany and translated to English.   PA magazine did a review of it a few issues back and I decided to purchase a copy thanks to that review.  In the book is the rudimentary details needed to craft such a cresting jig. 

I had to rummage through my son’s legos to get the parts I needed.  I had trouble finding the small 4 stud wheel set, and looked on line for them.  A 48 cent piece will cost $20 in shipping because it has to come from Denmark.   So I employed help from my wife and a friend of the family to get my wheel set.  They are good foragers   So, with all of the wheels in place I began cresting. 
I did not purchase any fancy paint.  Ignorance of what you should use and a cheap nature led me back to my paint box where I used “Basics” brand acrylic paints.  I formerly used them to paint on canvas. 

I was really pleased with how easily and uniformly the bands turned out.  So much more precise than rotating them in your hand and trying to keep it all even.  What do ya’ll think?   My first cresting jig and first set of arrows to crest.  I intend to fletch with one black and two red feathers and call it done.  I will post pix when finished. 

The images show a sequence starting with white, moving to the red then the black.   The wheels allow the arrow to spin fluidly while the brush rest keeps a steady position for the brush.  The last pic is of the final dozen sans feathers. 

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Arrow cresting jig: LEGO style
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 11:00:58 pm »
That's good stuff right there!  Necessity really is the mother of invention :)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:44:33 am »
very nice. Nice to see someone that's used it. I've got the same book. Wife got it for a Christmas gift. I reckon I'll have to get some Lego's now. I can just see it now " honey, can you get me some Lego's for fathersday" ::) <<<<<< That's probably the look I'll get too ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:12:55 am »
Arrows look great....I would think that something for those wheels would be available at a hardware store..You could use one of those to get your glue on broadheads centered on the shaft also.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 12:41:18 am »
that is so funny.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 03:42:36 pm »
great job!  im still trying to get out of legos, course having two boys didnt help! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline degoins

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:07:31 pm »
Man those look great. Of course you know, now I'll be digging in my grandson's toy boxes.

Offline Postman

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 05:25:25 pm »
wow. That one takes the cake!  :D :D :D

Great stuff & cool looking arrows!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

HatchA

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 05:35:46 pm »
Not sure whether that's possible in my house.  I could try nicking some of my son's Lego to make one but he'd take it back.  If I went and bought my OWN Lego, he'd end up nicking it!!

Pure genius though!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 03:11:21 am »

Those are beautiful! 8)  Cool idea.  You can get the wheels like "nclonghunter" said, at the hard ware store. I have some here somewhere, that were for bi fold doors, they are two sets of wheels together, and would be perfect for that set up.  Those will be very nice arrows, when fletched!  ;)

Wayne