Author Topic: Catfish spine tipped arrows: A special project  (Read 14011 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
Re: Catfish spine tipped arrows: A special project
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:42:48 am »
how did you remove the spines from the catfish?
doc

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 12:14:12 pm »
how did you remove the spines from the catfish?

I clipped most of them off with side cutting pliers.  I then used my knife to separate the rest of the spine from the connective tissue of the fin.  In one instance I did not use the cutters at all.  I simply cut down into the fish to get the whole spine.  You can see that dorsal spine in the background behind the finished arrows in one of the pictures I posted.  It was a smidge more work but not much.  Kind of a wash though considering what I ended up doing to the base anyway to make them fit inside the arrow split. 

In my opinion the dorsal spine is where the beauty is.  The pectoral spines work fine though.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 01:21:21 pm »
Those are fine lookin arrow.. Sweet memories too
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 10:21:16 pm »
Amazing arrows and an even more amazing story, my cousin lost his mother in 1999, he never talks about it, and weère almost always hunting and fishing together. We caughjt over 20 catfish a couple weekends ago!  :D Anyways ièm going to have to show him how to make a bow and arrow like I did.
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 01:23:48 am »
great work , your stuff is inspiring

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 03:47:12 am »

Cool ! 8)  Nasty looking points, and those little serrations, are pretty nasty also.  Sorry to hear about your Mom.  My Mom used to love to fish also. Those were some big catfish.  I know they can inflict some awful painful injuries.  My Mother got stuck by a big ol Sail cat, at the inlet, and it was so painful for her she had to go to the hospital to have it cleaned, and got a Tetanus shot for infection.  And she could take a lot of pain without complaining. They have a nasty slime on the barb that is not exactly nice to the body. ;)  Ok, now where is the picture of your Son and the Deer?

Wayne

Offline PeteC

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 08:31:48 pm »
I like stories like that.You're kids will never forget. Awful sorry about your loss as well. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 09:36:23 pm »
Those are great looking points and arrows. Thanks for sharing.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah