Author Topic: Sharing ranges with compound bows  (Read 9729 times)

Offline Weylin

Sharing ranges with compound bows
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:29:43 pm »
I live in Portland and as far as I know there is only one free, public range to shoot bows. Lately when I have gone there to shoot in a couple of my self longbows there have been several people with their fancy hightech laser sighted compound missle launcers shooting from a mile away. It's not that there isn't enough space for me to shoot its that I'd like to shoot from half the range which obviously isn't feasible to do at the same time that they are shooting. Has anyone here had similar experiences and if so how did you handle it?

Weylin

Offline woodstick

Re: Sharing ranges with compound bows
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:59:01 pm »
if they start on target 1 i allways go ahead of them say 5 or 6 then come back to the targets i miss. we have all trad clubs down here, i also shot a compound and i allways let trads go ahead of me cause when i shoot my sticks it may get me a favour in return.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:02:45 am »
most ranges near me are indoor 20yd ranges
there is one outdoor near by
it has a 3d course and a standard range
the standard range has bails at 10,20,30 yds etc all the way to 110 yds
all of which have their own shooting stations
most times when the wife and i go there we are the only ones there
but if the wheelie guys are there i do like woodstick does
either let them go first,or try and stay 5 targets ahead of them
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 02:43:48 am »
Best way I know to handle it is either hand them a self bow to shoot or buy your own target and shoot somewhere else.  :-\
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 02:39:53 pm »
I would rather be water boarded than shoot with most of the compound guys. I can hang out with them before or after but not during.  They get impatient because I don't want to shoot 60 yards and I get impatient waiting for them to play with all their mechanical stuff. I could shoot 6 arrows in the time they shoot 1 sometimes.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:27:18 pm »
Perhaps you could convince whomever runs this range to install some shorter range targets?  If not then maybe you can take your own target to the range? ???

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:51:18 pm »
Weylin I feel for you brother I'm frortunate enough to have a yard big enough to be able to shoot any distance I like uf to about 80 yds. I have two targets on oposite ends of the range I choose to shoot. I shoot one set of arrows usually 3 walk to them pull them and shoot in the other direction. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:39:52 pm »
Thanks for the replies. to clarify, it is a simple range with one row of hay bales all next to each other so the archers stand together and shoot at the same bales the entire time. So unfortunately I don't have the option of going ahead of them on the course. The only option is for everyone to stand side by side to shoot. so either I would have to shoot from a mile away with them (which wouldn't be very fun or helpful to me) or I would have to make them move up to where I want to shoot from shich I'm sure would piss them off if they'd even do it.

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:28:26 pm »
My range has short range targets so im in luck  ;D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:49:49 am »
I used to shoot my selfbow at a range in golden gate park, San Francisco. It was as you said basically a field with a row of butts or hay bale style targets. Every one there was shooting compounds from like 80yds. I just walked right up to the first open bale and started shootin at 20yds with arrows screaming past on all sides. It was pretty crazy! Finally I figured out when most folks didn't use the range...when it rains! So I had some soggy days of shooting the whole time I lived in CA.  :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 10:56:34 am »
I have to agree with Justin on this one, I won't hardly go to a shoot where  wheels are There,nothing aganist them , just don't want to shoot with them.  :)To practice I am lucky and don't have to deal with that.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 12:51:47 pm »
If you can find a place just go stump shooting.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 02:54:03 pm »
Hay Bales...Man .... I would not waste a Arrow on a Hay Bale...not with my Compound...would not have any Feathers left ...my Bow shoots through a Round Bale...Arrows come out "Sans Plumes".....thats Less feathers in French.... ;D

As for shooting with Wheelie People...I am lucky...I practice at Home...but at the Range...they have to set Stakes for Me to Shoot...Just like Pappy Does for Recurves and Primitives....at the Proper Ranges...and I shoot and take as much time as I need...I could give a Rats Back Door what they are thinking!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 03:59:41 pm »
I just walked right up to the first open bale and started shootin at 20yds with arrows screaming past on all sides. It was pretty crazy!
Not pretty crazy, it is ABSOLUTELY NUTS! I know someone who caught an arrow in the back of his head and it came out his eye. He was conscious until they got him to the hospital where they put him in a medically induced coma. He died a couple of days later.

Ill shoot in the backyard (by myself) thanks.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »
You could maybe bring your own target to the range and put it at 10-15 yards (or whatever you are comfortable with). I just make mine out of cardboard boxes ( 2 feet x 2 feet x 1 foot approx) filled with whatever (foam, plastic bags, packaging foam, raw wool, it all works).

Thats what i'd do.
Cheers
MAtt
Quebec, Canada