Author Topic: ? about sinew backing  (Read 5182 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
? about sinew backing
« on: October 06, 2007, 12:02:19 am »
I know the best glue to use for sinew backing is hide glue...but I made a mini sinewed bow and used titebond. The question is, will I have to wait for a while for the sinew to cure? If so, how long? Or is the hide glue what you have to allow to cure? This is the first sinew backing I've done, so it's an experiment.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: ? about sinew backing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 12:45:42 am »
Hi,  The sinew itself will gain strength as it dries.  Depending on the thickness of the sinew layer and the humidity in your area, it may take a couple of weeks or more.  Tite bond cures much faster than the sinew dries and prevents the sinew from shrinking or adding reflex.  Hide glue is a better match for sinew in that way, though the hide glue / sinew combination may continue to cure, shrink and add reflex for weeks or even months. 
Sorry, long answer,  I suggest waiting a week or two.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 01:41:48 pm »
When i sinew bows with TB2 I really hydrate the sinew allot....just as much as when using hide glue. Thats whay i allow the TB2 bows 2 weeks in a cool dry place...same as hide glued bows.

SJM

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 02:20:14 pm »
I've gone 3 weeks just to feel good about it.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:46:55 pm »
yes, The most that I have ever gone was about 3 months. I sometimes sinew bows in groups and then get to them when I can. part of the long process is just in the set up so there is some efficancey in doing more than one bow. It really did not make that big of a difference. If its cure and dry then its cure and dry. The longer it sits though the more refelx it will pull.....but that will just come out in humidity anyways.

SJM