Author Topic: Tung oil vs Tru-oil  (Read 14370 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Tung oil vs Tru-oil
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 11:23:23 pm »
That makes sense SD, I just started to burnish all my bows, belly & back and have liked what it appears to do for them.  I'm not 100% sure what, if anything, it does for performance or longevity of a bow but I'll likely continue the practice.  I did notice my last Hick/ERC only took 2 coats of Tru-oil before it started to build up nicely...which for "thirsty" ERC was fairly impressive.

Thanks for sharing your tips.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline rainman

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 01:03:12 am »
I like the pure Tung Oil from Woodcraft.  Much thicker than Tru-oil, if you want to speed up the drying warm the oil up to about 110 degrees, then when you put it on rub briskly with palm of hand until it gets hot.  Pure Tung oil is more durable than Tru-oil and will not come out shiny like Formby's.  Formby's has driers added.   To really make a bow weather proof, fill the pores with 3lb cut shellac and sand back to wood.  Then apply your oil finish.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 01:16:07 pm »
I use shellac and tung oil as well.  Never tried Tru-oil.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline snag

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 04:06:38 pm »
Good stuff guys. Before I read all the replies I was in the shop and got out the Tru-oil. Really makes the color and grain come out in the osage. I'll have to try the shellac and tung oil on another bow. Thanks,  David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 04:13:37 pm »
Good choice David you won't be disappointed in the results. Did you ever decide on a stain color or just go natural?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline snag

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 07:14:24 pm »
I decided to let it go natural, with the slightly scorched edges and all.  I did make a plastic tent and put the bow in it with jars of ammonia. Really helped give the wood that golden aged look. I took it out and let it dry to room humidity for about a week. I think I'm going to like the Tru-oil too! Already started another bow and the finish isn't even dry on this one.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 07:18:10 pm »
Snag, I'm doing the same with Tru-oil on my Osage Trade Bow.  Got the handle wrapped with black leather, black horn overlays on and dressed it up with some black fly-tying thread wrap on both limbs about 8" up from the tips.  I probably should have done all the Tru-oil coats before I put the leather on but I got carried away when the wrap fit nicely  ::)

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline snag

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:40 pm »
Sounds good! I'll put some leather on the grip after the oil finish is done. That will be another first for me.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 10:59:35 pm »
The para cord grip I did on my last BBO sure turned out nice, I kinda like that a little better than a leather wrap myself. In some cases though a leather handle wrap just looks right on a particular style of bow, especially ELB's.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:41 pm »
Well David , sounds like you went with the tru-oil! It is a prefered finish by alot of folks! I have use on arrow and gun stocks, blackpowder guns! Although, I have had probllems with the finish, darkening when compressed, like arrows in the gripper of a quiver!

I have known Gary Davis since 1987, and he has used Formbys tung oil finish, for years! He would dip each limb to the handle and hang to dry. Then do the other limb. up to 7 coats! I have 3 of Gary's bows and the finish is very good , and can be touched up! Steel wooled to cut the sheen, too!

He is the Osage God Father! ;D

Offline snag

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 02:43:37 am »
Dipping in Tung oil...? Now I've got to make a larger dip tube! I do this when making arrows. Might have to try that. Just make a dip tube out of PVC.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »
Yeah David. That's how he use to do it. That's why he would dip only one limb at a time! Finish is great!