Author Topic: SPLIT finger or all 3 below?  (Read 21575 times)

Offline lowell

Re: SPLIT finger or all 3 below?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 11:17:26 am »
I  have always shot split but every so often I give 3 under a try but can never really make it work for me!!

Which ever works for you is what I would go with!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »
None of the above.
I shoot ~2~ fingers under, tried split finger when I first started out and my groups sucked bad.
Then I tried 3 under and my groups improved instantly, then I dropped the 3rd finger and went to 2 fingers under and my groups improved Dramatically.

I haven't even tried split finger since, no reason to.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »
Which two fingers Chris?  Ring and middle?

Currently shoot split, was raised that way...haven't even tried 3 (or two) under...yet
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 05:26:13 pm »
Split, but with the thumb beside the nock...not sure why; feels best for me. That, or with the thumb and index finger.
"A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear." - Havamal, 38

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 09:21:19 pm »
Which two fingers Chris?  Ring and middle?

Currently shoot split, was raised that way...haven't even tried 3 (or two) under...yet
Index and middle finger, I guess I have really strong fingers? 3 felt kinda clumsy and 2 felt just right with no finger pinch even on the shortest of bows and a cleaner release........at least that's been my experience.
I once shot 3D with an older fella who shot a compound with fingers, no sights, just bare bones and he shot the entire course with a 70lb. bow and shot with just 1 finger.........his index finger.

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 08:21:46 pm »
My cousin shoots an old compound, no camo, 60 lbs bare finger. Nobody I know uses a release.
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline Kegan

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 11:36:56 am »
Chris, did you read Dr. Grayson's articles on his shooting? He shot two fingers under too with great success, even with heavy bows. No reason that it wouldn't work if two fingers split works.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 12:51:08 pm »
Chris, did you read Dr. Grayson's articles on his shooting? He shot two fingers under too with great success, even with heavy bows. No reason that it wouldn't work if two fingers split works.
Oh yeah, it does work. If I put three fingers under it feels clumsy and awkward and I think I get better arrow flight because of dropping that extra finger that was just in the way. You'd be surprised how fast you get used to it and how natural it feels.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 04:29:08 pm »
yup...I am totally surprised Chris  8) plus my groups have really tightened up!  Thanks for the tip~

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 05:26:32 pm »
yup...I am totally surprised Chris  8) plus my groups have really tightened up!  Thanks for the tip~

So you did try 3 under or 2 under? It amazed me the first time I shot that way and haven't switched back to split ever since.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 05:37:32 pm »
Tried both, 3 under 1st and it was good...switched to 2 under and it felt better.  Need to make me a new "finger tab" but that is easy enough to remedy.  I started to play in the Leatherwall's daily "Cold Shot"...today was 23yds, 45 degree angle standing while in a crouching position.  Here are the results with the latest Osage off the bench~

Yup, lucky fricken shot but I'll take that every day of the week  O:)

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 07:26:53 am »
I've seen an arrow come off the string with 3 under some parts of the bow went farther than the arrow. But if you are careful it works with shorter bows to help with finger pinch just be careful!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 11:41:17 am »
I've seen an arrow come off the string with 3 under some parts of the bow went farther than the arrow. But if you are careful it works with shorter bows to help with finger pinch just be careful!!!
What??? Are you saying that I'm hurting my bow by shooting with 2 fingers under? If you are, then I hope you have some good data to back it up because if not I'm calling bullsh*t on that one.
Do you make your own bows at all? Well, I do and alot of other folks do the same here as well and we can't just accept a comment like that without some proof.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 11:50:06 am »
I suspect he means the arrow can pop off the string so the bow gets dry fired.  I don't think it's an issue with plastic snap nocks, but a self nock is a little riskier.  That's why I cut a narrow slot and then enlarge it at the base so it still snaps on the string.

I have a friend that starts his draw with 3 fingers but drops the top one as he comes to full draw.  He started doing it with short bows but eventually made it his style.  Seems to work very well.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »
Oh ok, I wasn't sure what point he was trying to make? Also didn't intend for my response to sound snotty or hateful, just asking for proof of a bow breaking from shooting fingers under instead of split.
I'm used to guys passing along heresay without proof or fact to back it up and the newer guys who don't know much about the subject yet may take it as truth because they read or heard somebody say it.

I haven't noticed any ill effects on my equipment or my nocks popping off at all. I use plastic nocks with a positive snap on the string whether I'm using carbons, aluminum, or wood. The only arrows I don't use plastic nocks on is the river cane and it's fairly simple to get a positive "snap" on the string with those as well by doing them exactly as you described. I did the first time I ever finished a cane arrow and couldn't believe how simple it was. I used a fine tooth sawzall blade to groove my nocks, then switched over to a piece of 180 grit sandpaper wrapped over a hacksaw blade to finish them out.

One thing that does need to be addressed is your nocking points on the string if you plan to shoot 3 under, 2 under, or 1 finger under. You need a string nock above AND below your arrow nock, because the arrow nock tends to slide down the string upon release giving you funky arrow flight making you think that it's out of tune when it really isn't. I learned this the hard way with hours of frustration trying to get perfect arrow flight from my bow, then somebody clued me in on putting another string nock below the arrow nock on the string and it all came together perfectly.
Some guys like to tie their nocks on the string and other guys use the brass string nocks, either one works fine as long as you have one above and one below the arrow nock and leave just a tad bit of room so they don't pinch the arrow nock at full draw.