Author Topic: Any clubs / groups in Michigan ?  (Read 27865 times)

Offline dan d

Any clubs / groups in Michigan ?
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:29:15 pm »
Hello,
  A Michigander here looking to try out real traditional bows ( I currently shoot a longbow ) Looking at getting into self bows.
Dan
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:16:24 am by dan d »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Any clubs / groups in Michigan ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:03:40 pm »
Not alot of pirmitive exclusive groups around, but plenty of traditional archery groups around. Make a plan to go to the MTB Jamboree next weekend in Grayling, and The Stick Bow shoot weekend in Elm Hall in August. You will find plenty of self bowyers to chat with at both. I will be at both, look me up. Im 6' 1", 210 lbs and have a short beard and a round head! Im 38...........ish. Odds are I will have an osage or hackberry bow in my hands and a back quiver with all white feathers and ruby nocks.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:07:28 pm »
PD,  not headed to Compton down in Berrien Springs this weekend?

Whats the info on the MTB Jamboree?

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline dan d

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:36:47 am »
I will be at Comptons this weekend !  Don't think I will make it to grayling, I went to Hastings longbow shoot last year and will probably go again this year. I need to check out the Elm hall shoot.

I am a Compton & MI longbow assc. Member.  Looking to get into self bows, hopefully there will be some stuff for me to see at Comptons, last year I was like a little kid taking it all in and I must admit my attention was not on selfbows, this year it will be !

Dan

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:41:57 am »
Dan D, stop by the Art of Ishi flintknapping booth and introduce yourself. I will be there helping out Mike Cook and master flintknapper.

Jon

Offline dan d

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:59 am »
Dan D, stop by the Art of Ishi flintknapping booth and introduce yourself. I will be there helping out Mike Cook and master flintknapper.

Jon

I look forward to meeting you !
Dan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:24:07 pm »
Lee hop on the MTB website and you will see all the info there. Its June 25-26. I plan on bringing several bows to play with. Elm Hall is a cant miss Im tellin ya!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 01:33:51 pm »
Thanks PD, will do...
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 01:42:37 am »
Dan:

My friend Marty and myself teach a selfbow class every Tuesday evening in Perry, MI.  Don't know if you're near there.  Really, its a hands-on place to build bows.  We offer advise, have wood and tools.  The advise, use of tools, steam setup, workbench are free. We are going to have our portable setup at the Elm Hall shoot.  Come with a piece or two of something to work on and hopefully, you'll shoot an arrow through it while we're there.  If you already know how to make a selfbow, stop by anyways.  We'll be the duo with the bandsaw.

Matt Wirwicki
Perry, MI
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 08:20:42 am »
Marty, I believe I met you guys at the other shoot/rondy a month or so back...you were hording the glue for billets (that is now discontinued) and you folks had a steamer and a couple vises set up.  I was watching with my small, skinny blonde kid  ;D  Gary Davis showed up with some Osage and a Yew blank and it got busy so we didn't stick around too long.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 01:33:31 am »
Yes Lee, that was us at Marshall.  Marty was the big guy, I (Matt) was the small guy.  My old motorhome was on the corner right near the bow building tent.  If you're going to Elm Hall, stop by and re-introduce yourself.  I can't make the GLLI shoot, bummer.  I have to work that whole weekend.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 01:37:20 am »
OK, I did speak with you shortly, I think you had a kids Holmie or Molly on the vise at the time.  spoke with your wife at the camper too.  I am planning being at Elm Hall so I'll bring a stave or two to mess with and stop in and say hello.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »

OK, I did speak with you shortly, I think you had a kids Holmie or Molly on the vise at the time.  spoke with your wife at the camper too.  I am planning being at Elm Hall so I'll bring a stave or two to mess with and stop in and say hello.

Lee:  I posted that "kids" Holmie in the Bow section.  I finished it.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 07:29:53 pm »
Cool, i'll check it out!
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline tomwatson

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 04:43:03 pm »
Matt, I would like to make it up to that class sometime myself. How many classes does it take to finish a bow? I always thought it would be a good idea for a new Primitive Archery club in Michigan, to focus on making an hunting with your own home made equipment. I am surprised no one has started one yet.

Tom