Author Topic: 72lb Wytch elm bow  (Read 5500 times)

Offline keef

72lb Wytch elm bow
« on: June 13, 2011, 04:38:23 pm »
 Hi
This is my first attempt at a heavy bow... i dont think it would cope with a war situation, but maybe it would for a minor scuffle!!!

The bow is 73" ntn and pulls 72# @31" ....It has taken 1 3/4"ish set after 100+ shots ( 2"+ just after a good few shots, relaxing back to 1 3/4..1 1/2"

It was cut from a quite twisty 4" dia wytch elm  and required a lot of heat treating to straighten...Belly tempering has been a frustrating business, as it tends to take out the straightening I've put in.(If you know what I 'm saying?)..It needs a tempering badly, which I will give it, but it may cause problems?

Shot arrows  out to 178 yards today after a short testing session

Please hit me with the criticism...I can take it !

I have another stave which I aim for 100lb with.. I enjoy shooting this one though and I'm finding the draw weight easy

Unbraced

braced

tips

#

Full draw..32" shaft with bodkin ..

Cheers

Keith
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:59:33 am by keef »

Cacatch

Re: 72lb Wytch elm bow
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:47:00 pm »
Your tiller looks perfect. Great job!  I'd be afraid to heat treat it very much. If you toast elm very much it starts to smell like popcorn and in my experiences gets brittle. I would heat it just til it gets hot to the touch but not really brown. I'd remove heat just before it begins to change color. Congratulations on a very fine bow!

CP

Offline keef

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »
 The wytch elm love4s a good toasting !...It really helps the compression..

just another f/d..sorry about the angle.. My good lady was standing on a log!!!

Keith

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:30 pm »
very nice, love the whole thing, nice simple tips and sweet full draw
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Ian.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:07:25 pm »
Really nice looking bow that one, and a very good distance for a lighter bow. I like the overlays as well I have to say for the most part I find horn nocks are unnecessary and a bit of a chore.

Ian
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline keef

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:03:07 am »
 I took my longest shot with  a lighter arrow set with small fletches...I realise that I'd typed 'Averaged at 178' ..this is incorrect.. That was my longest shot!

More traditional arrows were landing at the 130-140mark