Author Topic: Cross Plains, TX Hog Pictures  (Read 8960 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Cross Plains, TX Hog Pictures
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:57:06 am »
We had an impromptu get together at our deer lease near Cross Plains, TX.  Jackcrafty, Criveraville, their boys and I flint knapped, ate and generally goofed off during the days.  At night Cipriano and I hog hunted with our rifles.  I know not everybody is comfortable hunting around feeders.  If that's you, I apologize in advance.   When I see the hogs on trail cam coming out in daylight I try for them with the bow.  When they're only coming out very late I sit in blinds and use a rifle.  I recently bought and sighted in a digital night vision scope for my .308.  I bought the scope because our hogs have gotten so light shy.  Even a red light often sends them running and if I mount a red light on the feeders they won't come in.  Here it is ready for action on the golf cart that I hunt out of.

Notice the miniature DVR and video cable running up to the scope.  Being a digital camera at heart, this scope has a video out port to record the hunt.  I guess this is about as far from primitive as you can get.  Sure love the technology though.

When I get to the lease I always check the trail camera pictures to see where the best place to hunt should be.  I found that our large sounder of small pigs had left but there were 2 boar coming in regularly.  The larger one was frequenting the feeder at our gray stand.  He looked like this:

That was the night before I got there.  He didn't show Friday night which I wasn't too sad about as I knew Cipriano was coming.  I put him in that stand Saturday night and I went to a different stand.  About 10pm I received a text from Cipriano that a big boar had come in but had spooked before they could shoot (Diego was with him).  That was too bad, I was hoping they'd sling some lead.  We were still texting about it after midnight when my trail camera flashed.  I hurriedly fired up the DVR and scope and got ready.  I don't have the video edited yet, but here is the last frame the scope sent before the gun went off.

He was unusually clean, probably because the hog wallow by my feeder had dried up.  Back at camp we took this picture.

He weighed 160lbs and was probably only a year or 2 old as his tusks were under an inch long.  It was a fun hunt.

If anyone is interested  in the video, I'll post a link to it when I get it loaded.  This is a primitive archery forum so I understand if it isn't appropriate.  I do love hog hunting, whether by bow  in daylight or rifle at night.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Cross Plains, TX Hog Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:40:39 am »
That's what "Around The Campfire" was made for George....Sweet Scope....Nice Hog....Good Eats!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:48:46 am »
That does look fun George!  A little hi-tech, but fun none the less.

I'd like to see the video when you get a chance :)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 03:18:52 pm »
To bad I missed it :( I hat having to rely on money to get me places lol maybe next year and btw I'm planning a gathering this fall at my place I'm thinking of making a 25 target shoot and maybe a good flintknapper friend of mine will come :)
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »
Lots of fun and good old time memories ;D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 03:48:52 pm »
I'm taking lessons on the proper way to eat hogs... O:)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I didn't see that face even one time with the venison and mushrooms, or is that your pork-only look?

You crack me up. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 04:18:36 pm »
That's definitely my hog face.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 06:46:23 pm »
Sounds like a good time, George. I'll kill them anyway I can, even with a Jeep. ;D And thats only 70 years old.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 07:03:38 pm »
A 70 year old jeep is a formidable weapon if you ask me.  Certainly would be if you ask the pigs. ;)  We did have a good time.  Gonna do it again for sure.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 09:28:20 pm »
That's fo  sho a hog eating face :D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 10:59:29 pm »
OK, this is my first attempt at making a video from the digisight.  It isn't very long, I didn't waste any time shooting.  There's no microphone so I put some music behind it.

George

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWnWhEHhUU
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 01:09:59 am »
Jorge, I was showing Diego the video and when he saw the position of the hog he asked, "Is George gonna shoot it in the hiny?"

Kid you not  ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 02:05:38 am »
Haha, tell him I would never shoot a hog there intentionally and ruin a future ham. ;D  With me all my shot placements are based on the future food value. :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 09:23:58 pm »
I know hogs are a problem, but you lucky Texans are blessed with some year round hunting and Im jealous. Nice hogger.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.