Author Topic: Cross Plains, TX Hog Pictures  (Read 8959 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Cross Plains, TX Hog Pictures
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 09:36:28 pm »
I'll second that...I wouldn't want those hogs in our woods wrecking our ecosystem but dang it would be nice to "hop down to the ranch" and shoot a few when the mood struck me.   >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:46 pm »
Yea, it's a mixed blessing.  We get to hunt year around, but the damage they do is amazing.  It would be quite dangerous to try and plow the field at the lease because of the holes the pigs dug to get the johnson grass roots.  They have a very negative impact on the deer herd.  I didn't hunt them effectively enough last year and our deer sightings were down.  It really helps when I have people come and hunt with me as the odds of somebody killing one go way up.  Consequently I like company. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 10:22:11 pm »
Well hop your Flatlander Arse in a Car...Truck...or Bus....and c/mon getcha some.....both of Ya..... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 10:31:35 pm »
Well hop your Flatlander Arse in a Car...Truck...or Bus....and c/mon getcha some.....both of Ya..... ;D

No kidding huh!  LOL, don't get mosquito chased flatlander another reason to travel my friend  >:D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 10:37:38 pm »
Just don't be like this damned Yooper....I wore out a Pair of Boots here....and have been stuck here ever since....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 10:41:21 pm »
No worries there bud, when the temps hit anything remotely above 75 this polar bear hits the chilled basement for 4 months...don't think I could take the TX heat for the long term.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 10:54:02 pm »
102 here today.....107 expected for Tomorrow...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 11:49:29 pm »
Hehehehe..."Is George gonna shoot him in the hiney?"

Not sure where the bullet impacted, but it sure 'rectum'. 

Sorry for making you the butt of my jokes. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 03:14:46 am »
John, you crack me up.  Come on down guys.  It aint a sure thing, but we've killed a hog on every trip but one this year, and missed one that time.  Hope the sows come back before I go again.  But El-D is right, from here on out it will be miserable hot.  Not so bad in the middle of the night, but you do have the rest of the day to endure. ???

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 04:50:07 am »
JW,

This morning Diego woke and asked to watch the video again... He studied it hard and said, "I've been thinking, and I think George shoot that hog in the hiney. Daddy why do you think he shoot that hog in the hiney?"

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 05:47:57 am »

Cool George, I like that.  I have been thinking of getting one of those digital scopes for coyotes in Montana.  What brand, model, where did you order it from, and if you don't mind what was the cost.?  I have a 3rd gen. night scope, sold by Osprey, and it took a dump, and even though it was still under warranty, they refused to honor the warranty, the woman I talked to and told her that I bought it at a gun show, said, " Well if you had gone on line, you would have seen that we don't carry those any more!' and not in a very friendly way.  I told her I don't know how many people she has seen carrying a computer around at a gun show, but I sure don't carry one.  Well I will never buy any Osprey product again!  I am going to bad mouth them in all the gun and hunting mags I can!  Anyway, back to your thread cool video, and nice sized hog.  Some good chomping there.  Too bad Cipriano and Diego didn't get one.  Oh well I guess they can get a pork sandwhich as a consolation prize..... ;D :P

Wayne

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 11:25:05 am »
Wayne, I'll PM you the details, but if you google pulsar digisight n550 you'll find the scope.  My first one failed and was quickly replaced.  The replacement has worked great so far.  To record the video you have to buy a portable DVR like the mountain bikers use with their helmet cams to get video.  I can send info on what I have.

Sorry to hear of your NV scope problems.  That is too bad.

That reminds me, Cipriano you didn't take any pork home?  I sent some home with Patrick but I don't think you took any based on what I processed last night.  I kept a nice big roast for the next get-together.  Gonna be quite a bit of sausage and he was fat enough to make it good.  I'll grind and mix in spices tonight.  Saturday we'll have fresh breakfast sausage with our pancakes.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 01:04:14 pm »
George, I cooked up the hog two nights ago and we might finish it today.  Excellent meat!  The loin is especially good!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 03:20:22 pm »

George, you should have used the Looney Tunes music, for your video. ;) ;D  Sounds like you have some good eats coming for breakfast. ;) :o

Wayne

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 04:16:13 pm »
Wayne, I probably could have as that's likely public domain by now.  That's my problem, I'm low on the imagination scale.  I don't think I've bought commercial sausage since moving to Texas.  It makes good sausage.  I used to make a lot of venison sausage, but not anymore.

Good deal Patrick, hogs that size are perfect for eating.  That's one of the reasons I didn't dally when he came in.  Most people see a pig, but I saw roasts, loin and breakfast sausage. ;D

George
St Paul, TX