Author Topic: Cross Plains, TX Hog Pictures  (Read 8958 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Cross Plains, TX Hog Pictures
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 01:40:32 am »
Wayne,

That's too bad about your scope.. It would have been fun to get a hog, but then he wouldn't have gotten a porcupine and we wouldn't have that video of George shooting that hog I'm the hiney  ;D >:D And looney tunes song would have been perfect...

Nope I didn't get any pork-- you and Patrick hogged it all... Heeee heeee..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 02:17:56 am »

Yeah, Cipriano, I was a bit upset to say the least.  A friend of mine is a lawyer, and he said a warranty is no guarantee, that they can weasel out of repairing it.  She did give me an address to send it to for repair, but I am not going to pay what I paid for it again, and the fact that Gen. 3 tubes are far and few between.  It was a cool scope when it worked.  anyway, I will do what I can to stop an increase in business for Osprey.  You say Diego got a Porcupine?  :o  Well eat the porcupine. :P  Going to do some quill work?  The Looney Tunes tune would have been a neat touch, especially at the end when he shot the hog, the ...."abee abee abee, that's all folks"   Anywho, you better get back over there and get that bag of meat, and some sausage. ;)  How big was the porcupine?  I seen one in eastern Montana, and it was huge! :o  Well get back over to the feeder, and get a hog.  Good luck next time. ;)  Oh, yeah, keep the porcupine out of the freezer, a snake is bad enough, but the wife might draw the line at a porcupine. ::) ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 12:47:40 pm »
Once the porcupine is skinned, then you come to the easy part. 

Brine in a solution of 2 cups salt per gallon of water, 36 hours for a quill-pig under 10 lbs, 48 hrs for larger animals.  Smoke at 180 degrees until meat in the center of the thigh reaches 165 degrees.  Chill, slice, and serve with selection of crackers and cheeses.  Wine recommendations include Pinot Noir, Malbec, or (of course) dry Champagne. 

p.s. porcupine is proof that a beavers and cacti can and do interbreed!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 01:58:42 am »
Stickbender, Cipriano sent me some porcupine pictures.  The first 3 are of Diego's porcupine.  The last 2 are of a pit bull in Stephenville that got into a porcupine.  He said they removed 1300 quills from the dog, and it recovered.  Probably not so for the porcupine.  Our porcupine are pretty small.  The quills are about as large as round toothpicks.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 06:53:43 pm »

I think that was one that was on the internet sometime back.  The Pit bull just didn't have sense enough to stop.
It is a wonder it wasn't blinded.  Those spines have tiny barbs pointing backward, and they will actually work themselves in deeper.  They can cause a nasty infection also.  Yeah, that is the size I am used to seeing, but the one I saw in Montana could eaten that one!  I actually thought it was a hog, and I didn't know of any wild hogs in Montana, and thought maybe it was from a ranch, but then it finally worked it's way through some ravines,and arroyos, and I was able to see it more clearly in the scope.  This was just at dusk, and I was trying to use the last of the light to get a Mule Deer.  Never got one. :(
But let us know how it tastes.

Wayne

Offline adb

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2011, 06:58:44 pm »
I'm taking lessons on the proper way to eat hogs... O:)
Is that your wife? Does she know you posted that pic of her? If she finds out, she's gonna kill you!!! :D :D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2011, 07:45:56 pm »
I know you guys had a good time, man i wish i had time to get out and do stuff like that. Seems like i'm always strapped for time :'(. Oh well, one of these days..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2011, 07:53:31 pm »
Hey Paul, got any open weekends in July?  I haven't picked my "fill the feeder"s date to go out there again, but didn't fill them this time so I have to go back.  If you have a weekend open and are up for getting together in the heat we'll make the next get together when you can be there.  Otherwise my next trip out there will likely be the weekend after the 4th of July.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 03:18:53 pm »
Very nice...

Love the video.
Gotta love busting pigs and hogs at night...

Just getting my NVS up and running trying to figure out which bow to mount it on...  ;D

Regards,

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:29 pm »
You ought to check out BSA's green laser for night shooting. It clamps on top of your regular scope and you can shoot out to 300 yards. We are using it down here for yotes and hogs and it is around $300. It works real good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 07:11:00 pm »
Really? Our hogs won't tolerate any light on them. White, red or green; color doesn't matter. That's why I got the night vision. They get used to a feeder light in time, but I wanted to be able to hunt away from the feeders.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline aero86

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 12:00:39 am »
man, i really gotta get in on that! 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.