Author Topic: Nicholson rasp question  (Read 3431 times)

Offline R H Clark

Nicholson rasp question
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:15:11 am »
As some of you may know Nicholson has moved production to Brazil.The Brazil #49 and #50 cabinet maker rasps haven't had as good reviews as the older #49 and #50 USA made versions. I just ordered one of each from an on line dealer who told me he had the older versions in stock.

Both seem good quality and my #49 says Nicholson USA but the #50 is only marked with a W inside a rectangle with USA under the W. Is the W marked rasp a Nicholson #50? I've never owned one before. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Nicholson rasp question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:33:26 am »
Lucky, my latest 49 is Brazillian garbage. It loads up in a flash and lost its aggressiveness two bows in. I cant answer your last question, sorry. Where did you find the good ones? I may have to spend another $50.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:47:14 am »
I can't help you, I didn't like my USA one. It loaded up also, I gave it away.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:54:08 am »
What brand do you use Eddie? I need something that works for me rather than me working it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:19:08 am »
Check out the Grizzly cabinet maker's rasp.  The big one is only $12 or so, and the smaller one is like $8.  They are made in China, but hold up well.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:07:02 pm »
I'll check the brand when I get home from work. It is real aggresive.
Lakeland, Florida

Lombard

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:12:48 pm »
A friend of mine purchased the Torges rasp. Pricey, but I have to say that I am impressed with the tool.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 11:02:55 am »
I paid $50 for my Nicholson, should have spent another $20 or so and got Deans rasp.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »
The one I use the most is a large Franklin. It will eat up some osage.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »
I have made art least 150 bows with a Nicholson 49 and 50, mostly with the 49. I only work with osage and seldom have clogging problems unless I am working with wet wood. I do keep a brass BBQ brush close at hand to clean out the teeth if necessary. I think they are great rasps and recommend them to newbies. Hate to hear they are now made in Brazil because I have never seen good old American quality come out of any other country.