Author Topic: any clues to what it could be  (Read 3566 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
any clues to what it could be
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:46:09 pm »
i woke up this morning to find my mom asking me to get rid of something in the lawn, it was a rabbit that had what looks like its front half cut almost clean off, i have no clue what it cold be, we live on an island in Rhode Island and the only predators around here that i know of are coyotes and fisher cats, we do have some VERY large dogs in my two neighbors houses, but they are pretty non violent. there also wasn't any blood, if wasn't raining i would go get a picture
i'm wondering if it was a person because it just looks so neatly done
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: any clues to what it could be
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »
Sounds like a bird of prey to me. K9's would take the whole thing with them and I bet fishers would stash the rest. Just guessing
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:23:27 pm »
that's why i was confused, the only reason i don't think t was a bird is that i don't know any birds that can make a clean 4inch long cut that are around here, actually i just remembered every once in a while i see what i think id a turkey vulture, it must be 6ft across or bigger, that might be it
thanks for the suggestion
any more are welcomed.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:24:27 pm »
Hi,  I doubt that it was a hawk.  That's not the way my hawks (Harris')  always ate anyway.  The area I live in had a rash of similar "cat mutilations" that received a lot of press a couple of years ago.   The final verdict was coyotes.   Thank goodness!  Some were sure it was a satanic cult, or incipient mass murderer, or aliens or,or,.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 01:39:37 pm »
Hi,  I doubt that it was a hawk.  That's not the way my hawks (Harris')  always ate anyway.  The area I live in had a rash of similar "cat mutilations" that received a lot of press a couple of years ago.   The final verdict was coyotes.   Thank goodness!  Some were sure it was a satanic cult, or incipient mass murderer, or aliens or,or,.
Ron
but why would they leave it like that, also it seemed like the local coyote population here was decreasing allot  ???

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 03:04:21 pm »
Doesn't sound like any kind of bird of prey...my Harris Hawks wouldn't leave any  >:D  Plus you would likely noticed plucked bits of fur nearby and the meat would be picked off the bones on a rabbit.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 03:37:32 pm »
There you are hawkmeister! I knew you would know better than I.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 03:40:02 pm »
I KNOW!!!!  I KNOW!!!!!!  IT'S A CHUPACABRA ;D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 03:52:59 pm »
I KNOW!!!!  I KNOW!!!!!!  IT'S A CHUPACABRA ;D

That was what I was thinking.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 04:14:13 pm »
El' chupacabra! I watched a program on that nasty bugger. Im glad we dont have them up norf eating our cattle!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 05:06:31 pm »
Clint great minds think alike.. PD, yep.. They are bad on the cattle and such.. That one up north must just be hungry to go after a bunny wabbit :D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:23:22 pm »
wait.... i jsut realized something...... what if it was me :-[ i might become a monster a night and have no recollection  :o

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:50:33 pm »
My guess is it was hit with a lawn mower and either thrown or carried to your moms lawn by a critter of some sort.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 07:45:22 pm »
you know what, that might be it, there is a farm next door where sometimes they use a giant tractor to cut grass, and my brother said he thought he heard a coyote last night but it was so faint he thought it might just be wind

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 05:28:58 pm »

Like they said, not a raptor, they tear pieces out.  Dang six foot wing spans, doesn't sound like a vulture, more like a condor, or one of the prehistoric birds of Indian lore.  There was a story on one of those, on Monsters and legends, some time back.  A couple of people said they had seen them, and one had said one tried to get him when he was young boy.  and it was all up north your way.  You just never know...... :o  Sasquatch?
     A coyote could have bitten it in half, they do have sharp incisors behind the canines, and they sometimes will grab a rabbit or other animal, and chomp and shake their heads to the sides like a gator to tear it in half.  Or you could have neighbors that could have slung in your yard, or like you suggested, the mower.  Lots of possibilities, but I like el chupracabra.  Probably was let off by aliens, when it started to eat the other specimens they had acquired.   ;) ;D ;D ::) ::)
Put up a trail cam on your lawn. ;)  Sportsmans guide has them on sale.
                                                                       Wayne