Author Topic: Sayin howdy again  (Read 3834 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Sayin howdy again
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:15:36 pm »
Ive been driftin around Penn. where my friends and family are for a month or so. Been roofin with my dad. Just got back last night from a short rubbertramp trip to niagra falls. but i got back a month ago from hitchhikin and trainhoppin with my buddy. We ended in amarillo texas where my friend got robbed and we bought a pup for ten bucks. i was headin back east and my buddy was gonna go north but ended up gettin jacked and we met at the "jesus christ is lord" truck stop. then we bought a car off a homeless dude for 300 dollars and drove back to Penn. but we hopped 2 frieght trains. one from just east of st. louis missouri the whole way to springfield missouri, then from outside of turners station(town of 6 people, worked for 40 bucks and a meal) and we hopped off in jonesboro arkansas, southeren hospitality is awesome. but i have a lot of story to tell so anyone got anything to ask throw it out there, i have access to a computer for a few days since its fathers day. Later onnn
Modern Day Tramp

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Sayin howdy again
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »
Jack London and Wilson Rawls did what you are doing for some time..  Sounds and and interesting.  You should write your days doings at the close of day in a journal type book, could turn out to be a book.. How long will you live on the road like this for?  What inspired you to do this?

Descibe how yall got robbed please.. I'm an English teacher and I like details ;D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:47:04 pm »
Me and my buddy were on the road for a month and a few weeks when we had our packs. but we still both tramp around when were in Penn. but i sleep in my truck every night now and am considered a rubber tramp since i have wheels. but what inspired us to live alternative lives is the fact that most people believe you have to go to school, work everyday to live happily. not many people like to go to work but they have to because of kids and a wife or husband and tie downs. I avoid all the things that could keep me from being me not. i work a few days a month really and do fine. im into being an individual and like most people on here choose my own path in life. some people think im weird, i say i know hahaha.i could ramble on because me and my other hobo buddy have a philosophy about this way of life. this site kinda opened and expanded my mind to primitve ways and living differently when i was about 15 or 16.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »
How old are you?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:07:15 pm »
Be 20 in September.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »
Cool story HT - you should write a book - stay safe, have fun.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:08:55 pm »
HT...you should have stopped by when you were Jacked in Amarillo...I only live 55 north of Amarillo...you were so close....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 02:27:07 am »
Be carefull, HT, I did the same in 1970 before I was about to be drafted. I got jacked in "The City of Brotherly Love".
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:16:17 am »

Well, there used to be a show called Bold Journey.  It had two guys on there mainly who had traveled around, after retiring, and would film their travels, while doing various jobs, to pay for their travel like lumber jacks in Alaska, and after about six months of that, they thought well this is just too hard, lets go down to the coast, and get on a fishing boat, and make some easy money.  How hard can fishing be.  Well after a week, they were back at the lumber jack camp.  They showed some Native Alaskans, and said that most of the Whites called them lazy, and that they only work a few weeks, or enough to buy supplies, and then they hunt and fish the rest of the year.  He said, when you think about it the White man who works all year, just to be able to hunt or fish a few weeks.  Who is the smarter one? ;)  yeah, your Dad told me about your Buddy being robbed.  Oh well those kind of people don't live to be old.  Usually they are taken out of the gene pool by their own kind.  Kind of poetic justice.  What goes around comes around, is very true.  Glad you guys made it back, I imagine your Mom is too, she must've been a wreck. ;)  Like I told your Dad, Your Friend learned a very valuable lesson, always be aware of your surroundings, and if it doesn't look right, leave.  I know the KFC must have smelled good, but he ended up losing his wallet and the chicken.  Too bad your Buddy, couldn't have laced it with syrup of epicac.  They wouldn't be eating fried chicken for quite a while.
     I would prefer something a little stronger for them, but like I said, they will eventually be removed.  Did you do like I told you at the outset, and take some writing tablets, to kind of keep a journal?  Like Cipriano said, it could be edited, and be a good campfire book.
You could throw in some survival techniques, camping ideas, pros and cons, etc.  Could be used as a basis for a semi fiction book.  You said you wanted to write a book, or was in the process of writing one.  Well now you have new fodder.  You have places that you can name, and describe in detail.  Like Louis L'mour, he wolud research the area and the history, and visible landmarks, etc. before he would write the story, and used them in his story.  So you could go to those places today, and actually see the areas and landmarks, and towns, and buildings etc. that he wrote about.  You have some excellent material to use as a foundation for a book, and not just one book.  You have material that you can refer back to for future stories.  No you don't have to have an education to live a good life, but it sure helps.  Take the cowboys, a lot of them were very well read, and some very well educated.  The schools back then were places of learning, and not a place to be dumbed down like so many school systems now.  A college graduate today, would have trouble passing the final exam of a high school of the 1880-90's!  There is nothing wrong in doing what the siren call tells you to do,and yes you can live off the land, but unfortunately you don't stay young, and you get to the point where your warrantees start to run out, and you need medical help to get around and get up out of bed.  In the morning that snap crackle pop, isn't your cereal! ::)  You don't need to be wealthy monetarily, but a decent income wold go along way to a more comfortable life in your older years, plus enabling a bit of adventure now and then. ;)  eep throwing us little morsels of your travels, and adventure

Wayne

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:15:34 pm »
I know what ya mean stickbender. I have money saved up and when I roof I put it away. Money is part of the reason I can live easily because I don't need a lot money is nice to have for sure especially 40 or 50 years from now when I slow down haha
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 05:56:35 pm »
All your stories had got me itching to hit the road too. Started planning and saving, getting everything worked out. Then I started dating a wonderful young lady and... well, it's back to roofing for me ;). At least I'm still able to help the family out. Folks are working pretty hard and can use another set of hands keeping the house in shape and what not.

Props to you and your friend though, must have been a wonderful adventure! Have you ever read "Walking Across America" by a man named Jenkins(sp?)?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »
Yeh man I know how that goes. I've heard of that book, seen one time
Modern Day Tramp

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »
I agree with Stickbender,that kind of life can be fun for a while and might even help you to be more satisfied later when you are more settled.I did some hitching and such when I was young and single.You don't want to wake up one day 50 years old though and not able to do anything meaningful with your life or not able to get a job paying more than minimum wage.

You don't have to follow the herd,in fact please don't. Do find out what you love to do best and a way to market it.Find something productive that you love to do and give it your best every day.There is a great sense of satisfaction doing what you love and doing it well.

Good luck and stay safe.
Randy

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 10:09:36 pm »
Why do you have to make more than minimum wage. Money is just paper
Modern Day Tramp

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 10:39:31 pm »
Why do you have to make more than minimum wage. Money is just paper

Because it's also food and shelter for my children,security for my wife,and help for people in need through my giving.Money alone can't make you happy and it can't be your God but it is necessary in the world we live in.Money in it'self is neither good nor bad it just takes on the characteristices of it's user.