Author Topic: Medieval-Style hunt!  (Read 37134 times)

~JM~

Medieval-Style hunt!
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:47:35 pm »

Offline david w.

Re: Medieval-Style hunt!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 01:12:48 am »
thtats really cool, nice boar :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:43:05 am »
That would be Paul Wilburn aka Geoffrey Hawken, the care taker of St. Huberts Rangers, of which I will be a member in a few months, once I get my early 10th Century Anglo-Saxon huntsman kit finished!

St. Huberts Rangers are an international brotherhood on medieval huntsmen that take game (or not!) using only medieval style hunting techniques.....with period crossbows, bows, hawks, spear or ferrets!

It is a blast!

I am one of those authenticity freaks....my clothes are hand sewn, hand woven linen and wool.....

I am kinda a jack of all trades....I am making all of mine own knives and axes...as well as mine own bows, quiver and arrows....even mine own period shoes!  My next project is a period leather costrel (aka water bottle or canteen).

One thing I cannot do is sew a set of clothes....so I am having them made....

It truly is a blast and a great way to add history to your archery be it field or hunting!

www.sthubertsrangers.com
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 02:14:09 pm »
Good looking pictures. I like it when guys take lots of pictures of the hunt. Not just pictures of the kill.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 04:17:26 pm »
Hello Chaps,
That's some really interesting looking equipment.  I love the gear that's made by the user, to me it's part of what makes primitive archery as wonderful as it is.  I had a go at making a costrel out of horn (internally proofed with beeswax) with enough left for a bracer.

Miles

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:43:22 am »
JM Cool pic's and great story ;D
Yeomanbowman I like the costrel and bracer very cool 8) here's some pic's of a  grease horn from the Museum of London a freind took you may like to make from horn, I need to take a pic of the grease horn I made.

Miles

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 06:05:32 am by Miles »

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 05:02:15 pm »
Thanks Miles,
The grease horn looks very interesting, how does it work?  Is hot fat poured into the large end and allowed to solidify, also did it have a bung?  Whilst I'm bombarding you with questions ;) did it have a date and is the pointed tip cut away deliberately or just decayed/damaged?
I think I'll make one, I'm intrigued!
Cheers,
Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 05:05:15 pm by Yeomanbowman »

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 09:11:54 pm »
That would be Paul Wilburn aka Geoffrey Hawken, the care taker of St. Huberts Rangers, of which I will be a member in a few months, once I get my early 10th Century Anglo-Saxon huntsman kit finished!

St. Huberts Rangers are an international brotherhood on medieval huntsmen that take game (or not!) using only medieval style hunting techniques.....with period crossbows, bows, hawks, spear or ferrets!

It is a blast!

I am one of those authenticity freaks....my clothes are hand sewn, hand woven linen and wool.....

I am kinda a jack of all trades....I am making all of mine own knives and axes...as well as mine own bows, quiver and arrows....even mine own period shoes!  My next project is a period leather costrel (aka water bottle or canteen).

One thing I cannot do is sew a set of clothes....so I am having them made....

It truly is a blast and a great way to add history to your archery be it field or hunting!

www.sthubertsrangers.com

Now, this is very very cool stuff. I always wonder why more of you warbow fellows don't put together medieval soldier's kit to see how all that gear (maile, dagger, wollen hose, etc) affects and enhances your experience.

I'm involved in Roman period living history now, and make my own tunics, weave some of my own stuff such as a cloak I'll be finishing for colder times, etc. I just finished a linen band for decorating my undertunic sleeves and bottom heam. Leather hates me, though Stonedog, so I guess we are in opposites when it comes to what we like to make :) Turnshoes terrify me as a project.

I'd like to see you post photos of yourself when you are kitted out, and some gear you already have.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 09:15:15 pm »
Hello Chaps,
That's some really interesting looking equipment.  I love the gear that's made by the user, to me it's part of what makes primitive archery as wonderful as it is.  I had a go at making a costrel out of horn (internally proofed with beeswax) with enough left for a bracer.

Beautiful workmanship.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 09:40:28 pm »
Very,very cool guys I'm really enjoying yer warbow forum, hope ya all like it here.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Miles

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 10:44:29 pm »
Thanks Miles,
The grease horn looks very interesting, how does it work?  Is hot fat poured into the large end and allowed to solidify, also did it have a bung?  Whilst I'm bombarding you with questions ;) did it have a date and is the pointed tip cut away deliberately or just decayed/damaged?
I think I'll make one, I'm intrigued!
Cheers,
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy
The tip seemed damaged from decay(not a good hole there) it looks like they used it like a drinking horn I've been working on what type grease like lard but on VERY HOT 95'F days here in Suffolk Virginia US it just runs out, so I use a ball of bee’s wax as bung or plug (I have no proof of it being used like this but if was a medieval archer  I'd do it that way but we know they did carry bee's wax) but on cool days it not needed.
 I did not take the pic’s myself, the Museum of London did not have it dated it just had the small placard I posted.
Jeremy your stuff looks to be a hit.

Miles

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 10:48:28 pm »
one more :) no two

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:02:45 pm by Miles »

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 03:33:10 pm »
JM I will be joining your group soon. Just getting most of my gear from Historical Enterprises and just waiting and will be orderring the boots from Armlann. I will be using these mostly for reenactment purposes with the Camlann group in Carnation, WA. I will be using my gear also for hunting purposes and think it would be a kick to get a number of like minded people together to go hunting with. I make my own bows and arrows for reenactment also in the Medieval Warbow style. Dont think I will be up arround 120# range ever but will be using them for hunting purposes arround 50-80# and 30-31" draw length.

Any sugestions on kit to make or take with me on those style of hunts? I will be going out on my own to do this style of hunting unguided so the more info the better.

David T

PS: Really cool boar!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:37:16 pm by D. Tiller »
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 06:25:52 pm »
Miles,
That looks a very good recreation of how the original would have been in its heyday, how about lamb or beef fat thats a bit harder and with a higher melting point?

Dane and DanaM,
Thanks for the positive feedback.
Jeremy

Miles

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 06:35:53 pm »
I do late 15c 1471 my self English Archer but have been doing a number of medieval periods.

There a book called (Medieval Costume and how to Recreate it) reprinted by Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-42985-7 $11.95 US it old 1st published in 1931 but it's very good for the little things like Hunting Costume how to cut two fur hoods from a skin, it's not a bad to have.

I've used Historic Enterprises there OK Amror great
I've used Medieval Design there in Itay and of guy in my US group go here very good clothes and footwear
Hi-end footwear at hi-cost he's in the UK
Good Hunting
Miles
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:04:16 pm by Justin Snyder »