Author Topic: Medieval-Style hunt!  (Read 37075 times)

Miles

Re: Medieval-Style hunt!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 06:48:07 pm »
I'm
Miles,
That looks a very good recreation of how the original would have been in its heyday, how about lamb or beef fat thats a bit harder and with a higher melting point?

I've not worked it out do not know that much about grease my self ::) I know they had Goose grease to but do not know Yet. ;D

Miles

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 10:39:39 pm »
Dane,

I will post a few pics of gear I have finished....only a belt and a wool pack so far....I am halfway done with making mine own Seax....I am seding it out for the heat reat though...but its the first knife I have ever made and its shaping up to be a dandy!

Fortunately, leather, metal and wood love me.....fabic hates me!  About all I can do with fabic is make basic items...like sacks or char it for char cloth!  LOL!

I should have it all complete by december at the latest....next projects are a new longbow....hunting weight of 60# at my 26" draw and a leather costrel!

When I get my Seax and sheath complete I will post it.....

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Loki

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 03:45:28 am »
Nice!
What type of Seax are you making?
Saexes are common throughout Scandanavian country's but the British variety is unique,the 'Brokenback' seax is only found in England,its a big bugger with a two hand grip and a welded blade.If your making a Seax for war then it must be one of the bigger one's (Brokenback,Scramseax) these blades can be as long as A Roman Gladii,but they range from 12" up to 30" being the largest.
You can allso have the smaller variety but these were utility knives,used for everything from Eating to picking your toes  ;D,beautiful little knives with blades from 2" long.

And people think Saxons were all Longswords and Axe's,a Brokenback Seax is just as affective as a Gladius in the shieldwall.Of course,that doesnt mean the Huscarl's behind you cant cleave the enemy in two with the mighty Daneaxe  ;D,what a weapon!

Brokenbackseax

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 03:52:27 am by Loki »
Durham,England

Miles

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 03:50:52 am »
 Here's a link to a late 15c Hunting Knife it's a Duke's not commer
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/bnpu/ho_50.119a-c.htm

Offline Loki

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 04:00:37 am »
Charles the Terrible,brave as a lion but as cruel as Nero in his wildest moments  :'(.He was king Edward IV's brother in law and many Burgundian Bowmen fought for the Yorkist in the war of the roses.

Durham,England

Miles

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 06:07:44 am »
Charles the Terrible,brave as a lion but as cruel as Nero in his wildest moments  :'(.He was king Edward IV's brother in law and many Burgundian Bowmen fought for the Yorkist in the war of the roses.

Yes Charles was hotheaded powermad jerk but he's dead now  :P may he RIP or in hell and his hunting knife is a really good example of Blade and Handel, I posted it because it a hunting knife.
The wars of the roses were a longent period(30+yrs) of civil war in Engish History and the off and on conflict was very violent and cruel time.
Campaigns were brief and the disruption to the common man was usually fairly limited as both dynasties hoped to rule an economically prosperous England once the dispute was settled.
The English themselves were not the only participants either. Scottish, French, Burgundian, and Netherlands interests were at times played out, with invasions coming out of, or backed by, some of these countries.

Now Loki is that your Huscarl kit because it wicked cool 8)

Cheers Miles
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:21:21 am by Miles »

Offline Dane

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 07:48:26 am »
Dane,

I will post a few pics of gear I have finished....only a belt and a wool pack so far....I am halfway done with making mine own Seax....I am seding it out for the heat reat though...but its the first knife I have ever made and its shaping up to be a dandy!

Fortunately, leather, metal and wood love me.....fabic hates me!  About all I can do with fabic is make basic items...like sacks or char it for char cloth!  LOL!

I should have it all complete by december at the latest....next projects are a new longbow....hunting weight of 60# at my 26" draw and a leather costrel!

When I get my Seax and sheath complete I will post it.....

No rush, I'd just like to see your gear when you have it all together.

Neat on the seax - right now, I'm trying to track down what the ancestor of the Germanic seax was. Any ideas? I'm talking about what the Germanic tribes would have used during the Roman period.

Funny how we have the skills we have. Fabric is easy for me, but leather and bone are horrifyingly difficult. Horn and bone simply hate me, and leather needles love to impale me.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

duffontap

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 04:24:14 pm »
Miles,

What's the backing on this target?  I'm due for a new arrow-stopper.

J. D. Duff

Miles

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 04:34:11 pm »

Funny how we have the skills we have. Fabric is easy for me, but leather and bone are horrifyingly difficult. Horn and bone simply hate me, and leather needles love to impale me.
Hi Dane
If you can stop by a saddle and tack maker shop and them show you there tool's and how they work leather I've picked up alot from doing that.
I'm not bleeding as much now ;)

Hi J.D.Duff
It the back sided of the two Welcome mats face to face looks good hu ;D Hahaha works very well, made it for under $15 bucks.
Miles
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:44:56 pm by Miles »

duffontap

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 07:11:06 pm »
I like that a lot.  Would it stopr field points out of a 90# bow ok?

J. D. Duff

Miles

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 11:17:23 pm »
I like that a lot.  Would it stopr field points out of a 90# bow ok?

J. D. Duff
Hey J.D.
Yes but you need big fat mats or points stick 1/2 way out the back I'm thinking of adding one more mat be because when I shoot my big 5 bow at it ~110# there going in very deep. ;D

Ligth Bow say -45# can Bounds off it at times no fun for the kiddys. :-\

I'm looking for round mat's to make a target from but had no luck yet.

There's two type's out there they cost about the same straw (very much like the cool English Straw Targets the real ones from the UK that cost a arm and leg to ship to the US but then we have game to shoot here ;)) and coconut husk, when I was testing this out I took my old used welcome mat from the back door of the house and started shooting it, this one was coconut husk it work well.

Miles
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:28:11 pm by Miles »

duffontap

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 02:02:42 am »
Thanks for the help Miles.

J. D.

Offline Dane

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 03:38:15 pm »

Hi Dane
If you can stop by a saddle and tack maker shop and them show you there tool's and how they work leather I've picked up alot from doing that.
I'm not bleeding as much now ;)

Good advice, Miles, but my leather needs are not that great right now. One day, perhaps. I do manage to poke myself once in a while working in linen and wool, so all this is bought with blood, :) Blood doesnt look good in natural linen. Sometime, I'll post some photos of my Roman kit, though not English War Bow related. Neither is a Scorpio, for that matter, but it is a mega-powerful arrow shooter for war. That will go in the regular bow forum, I guess.

Miles

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 07:34:49 pm »
Hey Dane
Where you at Roma day 2007 Maryland?
I was just looking at all the cool stuff here's some it not the Warbow we talk about but it is a type of Warbow.

Offline Dane

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 08:14:45 pm »
Miles, I alas, missed it this year, but nine members from my Legio, Legio III Cyrenaica were there. That stone throwing ballista was just finished weeks before the event by Flavius Octavius Servus (aka Fred Wojick), and we call it the Roman Atomic Cannon. It weighs thousands of pounds, and is primarily ash. he did a fantastic job.

You can't tell it from the last photo, but that is the bed of the new cart Publius Clodius Secundus (Randi Richard), Tesseraruius of the III built recently. He is the guy manning the scorpio, with the straw hat. One of the big things for us about this event was having possibly the first arrow firing catapulta mounted in a cart in nearly 2000 years in action. The scorpio you see is from the Legio XXIV.

My scorpio is coming along nicely. I'm about to start the base, and within I hope a few months, cast the washers out of bronze. That is a new skill I have to acquire for this project. I expect to start building my melting furnace in the next few weeks to a month. The nice thing about this is I can cast bronze tribolate and bibolate arrow heads, something you simply cant find at all out there as repros (echoing the difficulty you English war bow guys have with authentic bodkins and such).

I'll be using actual artifacts as the starting point for my molds. I have a nice little 100 BC bronze head here, a small one that was almost certainly not for a full sized war bow, but would make a nice target point.

Dane
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:17:21 pm by Dane »