Author Topic: New to the forums  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Stickboy

New to the forums
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:57:41 am »
I couldn't find a regular "Introductions" section, so I suppose I'll just get started here:  My name's Steve and I live in Berea, KY.  For the past few months, I've been working on-and-off on my first bow.  It's sort of pyramid-style, but more of a character bow, made from some sort of evergreen (unfortunately, I'm only good at identifying basic hardwoods -- tree identification: another thing on my "to do" list).  I had no intentions of harvesting part of that particular tree, but a thunderstorm topped it, so it seemed an opportune piece of lumber for trying my hand at bow-making. 

If anyone is curious, "Stickboy" is actually a nickname my dad gave me as a kid, being as I was a scrawny little fella.  Now, he still calls me that.  Probably because I'm still a scrawny little fella...  Anyway: I thought it an appropriate moniker for a member of a group who share a love of things at the same time affectionately as derogatorily called "stickbows."  I look forward to trying my hand at the exploits of the community.
"A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear." - Havamal, 38

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New to the forums
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 03:05:27 am »
Welcome Stickboy!  If you have bows you want to show, go to "BOWS"  ::), arrows, go to "Arrows"! etc. If you have questions, ask 'em. You'll get used to it soon enough.  ;)

ps. when you get to "Around the Campfire" you can discuss(almost) anything...BUT not polotics, religion, age or weight!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:52:48 pm »
HaHa! Sounds good. I hope to get the bow finished up fairly soon, and I'll post a few progression photos in the "bows" section. I imagine I'll be asking a lot of questions, probably mostly of the "how did I manage to mess this up?" variety...  Thanks for the welcome!
"A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear." - Havamal, 38

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 03:57:24 pm »
Welcome to the message boards Stickboy!
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.