Author Topic: $0.95 vice jaw pads  (Read 17670 times)

Offline osage outlaw

$0.95 vice jaw pads
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:05:29 pm »
I saw these made on a woodworking show and thought they looked like a good idea.  I picked up a 10 pack of rare earth magnets at Harbor Freight for $1.58.  I used 6 of them on the pads.  I probably could of used 4 because they are super strong.  The wood and leather were scraps I had laying around.  I drilled holes and used epoxy to glue the magnets in the wood.  My leather pads are a little crooked.  Right as I put them on, the phone rang and I was waiting on a call.  By the time I got back, the super glue had set up.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: $0.95 vice jaw pads
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 02:27:06 pm »
Very cool!

I have a vise that has removable "jaws" so I unscrewed the jaws, cut a piece of thick leather, punched holes to match the screw holes and "trapped" the leather between the vise and the jaws and it works pretty decent.  I see you have a nice, good "old timey" vise so this is a nice tip to use on those type of vises.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:27:23 pm »
Nice! That beats my boat carpeting pads.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 02:45:55 pm »
I just use an offcut of old carpet some special Bowyer's Pure Wool Carpet carefully fashioned to fit the vice. ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 02:55:07 pm »
That was my grandfathers vice.  He used it for many years before he passed.  I recently rescued it out of his old workshop and put it in mine. 

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »
That was my grandfathers vice.  He used it for many years before he passed.  I recently rescued it out of his old workshop and put it in mine. 

Very cool, bet that Vise has some real good Mojo then...has to beat my cheap Chinese's import (maybe that's part of my problem  ::))
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 03:00:15 pm »
I tried magnetic jaw pads, OK at first but start slipping after a while, easy way to ding up a bow.

I made these to replace my magnetic pads, easy to make, guaranteed non-slip and easy to remove when you need the metal jaws. I got the idea from the gun makers vise jaw pads shown in the picture.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:06:09 pm »
I broke 2 chineese vises, really big ones. If you look under the 5 1/2" you will see some very important words"Made In USA", can't break this one.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:10:35 pm »
I tried that kind of vice pad Eric, but didn't care for them.  I think it might be the type of vices that I have, but they always fall off when I loosen the vice. 

Besides the old one that was my grandfathers, I have a nice Craftsman that I bought at a yardsale for $5.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:23:50 pm »
I use two pieces of thick rubber hose split down one side and slipped over the jaw. They won't fall off and won't dent a bow. I really like that when working on a tapered limb tip.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 03:58:20 pm »
That rubber hose gig might be the cat's meow if it holds a tapered antler like that...I really have struggled to get my leather padded jaws to hold a antler with any taper on it...might have to steal this one  >:D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 06:19:32 pm »
Your vise sits lower to the bench than mine so you don't have room for long "feet" like my pads. I saw one like yours at flea marked the other day except much bigger, American made for $50. I didn't need it but had to force myself to walk away from it and not take it home. It was made by an established American manufacturer, don't remember the name but a new one like the one I saw cost about $350 when I looked it up on the net.

Offline Timo

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 09:48:20 am »
Shannon, that is one of the best Ideas I have ever seen. Way to use that noggin boy! ;D

Lombard

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 10:46:32 am »
I like that idea Saw Filer, thanks.

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 01:23:12 pm »
i juse jaws made out of two pieces of angle iron(steel) cut to the width of your jaws and then i glue leather on to the angle iron and also glue magnetic strip tape to the inner part of the angle iron and you lose almost no jaw opening width.
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.