Author Topic: ERC Sister Flutes!  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
ERC Sister Flutes!
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:47:20 pm »
I finally found a place that carries Eastern Red Cedar boards so I can finally make my flutes out of some prettier wood.  Here are two that me and my buddy snakeman finished up today.  Mine is on the left and his is on the right.  They are both make from ERC, mine having a bunch more sapwood and his being mostly heartwood.  My bird is Ebony and hickory and his is osage.  They both sound great to me, some of the best and prettiest we have made so far.  What do ya think?  I will also include a video at the end of the pics so you can hear how they sound.  Thanks for looking!  :)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: ERC Sister Flutes!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:48:27 pm »
and the video of the sapwood flute playing.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:09:16 am »
Excelente job. Beautiful work.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Josh

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 03:47:41 pm »
Thanks!  :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 06:52:54 pm »
The nice thing about the sapwood in a year or two is it will still be white. The all heartwood and osage will be dark brown and all that color gone.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:58:15 pm »
Beautiful flutes and sound byte good stuff, your becoming a flute pro! ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:43:47 pm »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:12:36 pm »
Nice work Josh. It sounds like you have it well tuned. Do you find that you have to tinker with the sound holes, or are you getting that good tone by exact spacing of the holes?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:27:56 pm »
Very nice Josh, if I ever have time I want to build one. Now I know another expert to ask questions of.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:19:53 am »
i love the flutes..at the cental oregon gathering dave and keenan where going nuts playing there flutes....i just want to know how to make them..john

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:54:23 am »

Dang Josh, you have really taken off on those flutes.  Excellent job, and playing. ;) 8)

Wayne

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 12:24:33 pm »
I hope if I keep them mostly outta the sun they will retain some of the red hues, at least for awhile Eddie.  :)

thanks Josh!

thanks JackCrafty!

thanks Dave! The tuning comes from enlarging the holes.  a bigger hole is a sharper note and a smaller hole is a flatter note.  Also the hole placement makes a difference on the size and tuning of the hole too.  the closer to the end of the flute the hole is the larger it has to be to get it in tune and the closer to the cutting edge it is the smaller it has to be.  So it's kind of a balancing act. 

thanks Justin, although I am hardly an expert... I will help ya out in any way I can.  :)

thanks John!  It's not that hard, just really time consuming.  I can give you my measurements to get ya started if ya want.  :)

thanks Wayne! 

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:10 pm »
Cool looks like you're moving right along, good to see your improvements.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Josh

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 03:00:09 pm »
thanks Michael!  Couldn't've and wouldn't've  done it without your buildalong.   :)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 04:23:12 pm »
They look great and yours sounds very good.  I may have to give it a go one day myself, and make one.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II