Author Topic: Mulberry warbow in progress, one limb reflexed one limb straight-ish...  (Read 9134 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Here she is on the long string. Got a nice white back and an orange belly. Got er ready to brace right now just this morning. 77 1/2" nock to nock right now, or something like that. Shooting for 100 @ 32". I've pulled er farther than this, just didn't get a picture. You can see the reflexed limb is on the left in the first picture. This is one of those things where I tiller the reflexed limb a bit weaker than the straight one to bring them together at brace and fulldraw. Eventually, (or usually) the reflexed limb will lose almost all it's reflex and end up matching the straighter limb. The way I have currently been evolving with making warbows, is to start with the bow longer than it needs to be with self nocks, and I just get the heaviest weight I can get out of it without killing myself. I hurt myself pulling this guy trying to get it heavier than I usually do recently, (not bad or anything, it's better now) but they typically come out at 80# @ 28"/ 90# - 95# @ 32" (yes I am a wussy little weakling, and for that reason I have started doing it this way instead of killing myself getting all it tillered at much higher weights), but I get a perfect tiller up to the draw length I want and do almost all the sanding and such before hand. Then I just cut an inch off each end if it's dramatically under weight, and a half an inch after that until I am about 5# over weight or close to want I want, exc... I get it all sanded and perfectly tillered because I seem to (not matter what I do or how I try to protect them) scratch the nocks when sanding. The pair I bought from rudder bows is already a bit scratched from shody polishing, (of course way better than I could do though) so I really want to make sure to keep em as nice as possible. The cross section is of course a fat flatish wideish at the handle d. This wood is cool! After sitting on the tiller tree pulled pretty far and then undoing it, it has a bit of set, but then it pulls itself back slowly like sinewed bows do, so in like 20 or 30 seconds of slowly moving it's back to about 4" reflex.  ;D

Edit: There is also the last little remnants of a hinge I haven't fixed 1000%, whoever finds it get 50 points. :) 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:28:09 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

Welp, here is the first brace:

I'm actually glad to see a hinge and some flat spots. Gives me a reason to bring the weight down some, I fear I am way over weight with this one as it is. I didn't want to brace it at a full brace so soon, but the string didn't stretch as much as I anticipated.

Offline toomanyknots

Ok, here it is with a 4 1/2" brace height. Been trying to take care of the major hinge on the right limb in the picture above as well as the flat spots right of the hinge in the lower limb and left of the hinge in the middle-ish area of the bow.

Pulled to 22":

I haven't weighted it yet. Soon as I get the tiller where it looks good and is in no danger of over stressing hingy spots or anything Ill see what it's pulling. I have found out if you keep getting hinges in one limb, then just the normal method of taking wood off the parts that are around the hinge and not touching the hinging spot will not work by itself, as if you keep getting them in one limb more than likely the other limb is a good amount stronger. Whether it's stronger simply due to the hinge in the other limb or what, it is still most likely alot stronger. So if you don't get the limbs evened out by weakening the stronger limb to meet the weaker hinging one, things will only get worse no matter how much you tweek the hinging limb. Also, I didn't get the camera angle just right on these pics, so tiller might look off, or be off and look good, exc from the slightly turned angle. If you look close enough on the right limb though you will see I still need to take off some wood on either side of the where the hinge was (IS STILL).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:56:06 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline toomanyknots

Ok, here it is braced at 4 1/2" pulled to 29".

The limb on the right is actually stronger even though it's hard to tell in this picture. (Or is still stronger, I should say.) I keep switching the bow around on the tree, you can tell it's turned around because the two big knots aren't showing on this picture like in the pictures above. The limb that had the hinge is on the left now instead of the right. It is pulling 90# at 26" right now. Set is 1" on the limb on the right, and 1/4" on the limb on the left. (right limb was the straight limb, left limb was the reflexed)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:08:17 am by toomanyknots »

Offline toomanyknots

Ok, finally braced to 5 3/4"...

Pulled to 32",

I am pretty happy with the tiller so far. There is a bit of a stiff part on the limb on the left, right off the middle of the handle and than a very slight sharp bend after that, but besides that, I am pretty happy. What do you guys think? Here is a link to a youtube video of me pulling it to 32":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3jGxr5Yx0Q

Offline Ian.

Thats looking like a very nice bow, good to see how you have worked that reflex limb even, is there a target weight for this one?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline toomanyknots

Thank ya. Yes, the target weight is to be around 105# @ 32", no less than 100# @ 32", rather would error on the side of too much, or I will have to cut a bit off to bring up the weight I would say.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:17:51 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline Ian.

Nice, your on for about 120-130 so you will make your weight no problem, it should be a fast bow.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline toomanyknots

Welp, I guess tiller is done. Brace looks a bit imperfect on the left limb but it evens out when drawn so I can't really do anything about it.

It's pulling 90# @ 28" right now. Thats gonna be about 100# @ 32" with a bow 77 1/2" nock to nock, right?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Good looking bow, I always enjoy your pics and videos thanks for sharing.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

very nice Toomany, always impresses me the way you guys can get a bow that weight to bend evenly. 
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline toomanyknots

Thanks guys!

"I always enjoy your pics and videos"

Right back atcha elk!

Ok, shes finished. Pulling 85 @ 28", 100 or maybe a bit more at 32". I've tryed to take some "better" photos outside, ... said I tryed, not succeeded, :)

You can see the right limb looks significantly stronger than the left one here at brace, but I hah to settle with that I guess cause it was pulling significantly weaker than the left limb when drawn, and wasn't coming out even at fulldraw. So I got it even drawing and even at full draw and this is where I ended up at.  >:( >:( >:(, lol, I guess it is because the right limb was reflexed alot more than the left limb. The left limb is actually alot more bulky then the stronger right one. This is going up all the way to alaska to a guy named walt. Maybe he will tell me if it shoots good or not, as I sure as hell can't shoot it, lol, it is a very physically light bow so hopefully it shoots fast.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:17:16 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Man that looks dam good to me! Well done!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline toomanyknots

Thank ya elk!

Offline seabass

looks good man.like i said today when i saw you draw it,looks great.that limb look great when drawn.he should be happy with it.good job,steve
Middletown,Ohio