Author Topic: High country elk in September!  (Read 33651 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
High country elk in September!
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:15:09 pm »
   After 5 long years I'm finally going back to the San Juan Mountains of Southwest Colorado to hunt elk with Kenneth(little John) in September. We have both been wanting to get back together for another hunt since our first back in '06 but until now it just hasn't been feasable for me.
  Marcia and I have been mulling this over for a while and finally figured if I don't go now I may never get to go again.  ::)  So, on September 2, I will be flying out of Asheville to Durango.  ;D   I will be flying back to Asheville on the 10th so we will have 6 or 7 days to play in the high country of those beautiful SW Colorado mountains with my very good friend Kenneth. He's the best(only  ;)) elk hunting partner I've ever had! We will be hunting between 9000' and 10000'. As before, kenneth will have camp set up, this time with a wall tent. The work he puts into my hunt is almost unbelievable and greatly appreciated. Now, if we can convince the elk to join us it will be the icing on my cake!  8)
  And of course with a special hunt you know I have to build a new elk hunting bow.  ;D  This time it will be a simple workhorse of a bow. Probably 66"t/t with straight limbs and in the 55#@26" range. I have a nice HHB stave that Greg B(and Pappy) gave me at the Classic years ago and it should make a fine bow for this hunt.
  I have a lot to do before Sept. 2 especially get myself is shape for the pack in and a week in the high country. I'll be 61 when I leave so this "getting in shape" ain't gonna be as easy as it was the last time  ::) but I guess I'll suffer through it!  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: High country elk in September!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 02:11:39 pm »
I wish ya'll the best of luck up there Pat! I hunted the San Juans with rifle and never laid eyes on anything with antlers. But that was Nov and they were all in stealth mode ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:12:00 pm »
That's awesome, Pat!  I hope you fill your tag this time, but if not the experience will still be amazing.  Take lots and lots and lots of pics!  ;D
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »
Paul, I don't need antlers! All I need is a dumb cow and an opportuntiy!  :D
  Jonathan, just like the last trip the experience in such beautiful country is worth the trip. I will take plenty of pics for sure and hopefully there will be at least one "hero" shot in the bunch.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:43:38 pm »
Take it from me, Pat, its easier to eat an elk than it to eat the elk tag.  Don't ask how I know this.   :'(

We are all cheering for you, buddy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:52:56 pm »
Pat, you should have named this thread life is hard. I feel real bad for you having to get in shape for something like this.  ;D
I know you and Kenneth will have a good time, I hope the elk cooperate more this time.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:34:05 pm »
Pat you and Kenneth will have a great experience... I hunted elk out of Pagosa Springs in 99.  It was hot as it was the first weekend of bow season.  We got up to the timber line, around 11,000 feet... We knew this because we had a gps..  Before going on the hunt I was thinking about "how big" of an elk I would take a shot at.  After a few days on the hunt I realized that any elk was a good elk.  We only saw elk once and we jumped them.  They were about 80 off the trail below us.  We didnt hear any bugling.  It was either too early or too hot or both. 

After three days of a ten day hunt I had an experience like in the movie, Saving Private Ryan.  I could'nt remember what my 7 month old daughter looked like.  I could not visualize her face.  It was the first time I had been away from her.  Well, the next moring I packed up and left for home.  I will always remember what she was doing when I came to the door and she was as happy to see me as I was her. 

I havent made it back either.  Looking forward to seeing pictures and hoping you get to fling and arrow at an elk.  Any elk is a shooter, is what I learned. 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:26:18 pm »
Cipriano, most of the elk were still in the high country(way above us)while we were there the last time. I did see a cow at about 100 yards on another ridge and had a bull bugle from another ridge top. I cow called back to him and he headed down towards Salt Creek bugling as he went. I ran as fast as I could down the mountain towards Salt Creek blowing my cow call at every bugle. I made it to Salt Creek before the bull did and positioned myself for a shot when he broke the wood line....which he never did. Instead he headed down stream just inside the woods, bugleing as he went.   Now, that was a blast and made my trip.  ::)
  Kenneth went back the next wekend and was covered up with elk!  ::)  Go figure.
  Justin, thank goodness for my landscaping maintainance job and the heat this summer. That should get me in pretty good shape if it doesn't kill me first.  ;)
  John, I have tasted elk tag soup. The $500 bull tag soup variety!!!   This time I'm going for the $351 cow tag soup. I'm sure it will taste as good as the bull s...oup did.   :D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:42:50 pm »
Very cool stuff Pat!  I wish you both the best of luck and I hope getting into "Elk shape" isn't the hardest part of this venture.  One day i'd love to try the same type of hunt...Elk hold something special in my heart.   8)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:17:55 pm »
Wow, sounds like a great plan. Good friends, fabulous country, and a primitive hunt. Most of us can only dream! Good luck to you
both.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 01:19:59 am »
Lee and Chasing Crow, it was only a dream for me until I went the first time at 56 years old in '06.   ;)  You gotta dream before dreams can come true!  8)

Offline criveraville

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 02:21:30 am »
Pat,

That's how it was with us.. High country.. And all country in those Colorado mountains is uphill. Even downhill was uphill  ::)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 02:31:49 am »
Pat...if this don't work out....and you get the Urge for Deep Canyon Texas Mule Deer...you just let me know...you won't have to build Lung capacity up for this hunt....just start working on ways to combat Heat Stress..... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline criveraville

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 10:56:17 am »
Deep Canyon Texas Mule Deer..

If there's room/space let me know too ;D  Last time I hunted mule deer was in 91 in Northern California near Mt Shasta.. Back in my youth ;)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 11:11:18 am »
Deep Canyon Texas Mule Deer..

If there's room/space let me know too ;D  Last time I hunted mule deer was in 91 in Northern California near Mt Shasta.. Back in my youth ;)

oh....and Criveraille, I make a dandy "Sherpa"  >:D ;D >:D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold