Author Topic: High country elk in September!  (Read 34615 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: High country elk in September!
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »
Come on guys, your killing me. About 12 years ago someone took out my fence and my horse got out and was hit by a car and had to be put down. He was 13 and I had raised him from a colt. This was also right after I had lost my dad. He and I spent so much time in the mountains riding, he was one of my best friends. Shortly after that I sold my other horses. The thought of you guys elk hunting without me doesn't bother me so much as seeing you in the mountains with your horses. There is nothing like being in the mountains on a good horse.

Maybe next year I will volunteer to haul everything to camp just so I can come and ride.  :'(
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2011, 11:46:34 pm »
I'm out of here guys. I'll have pics and stories when I get back after Sept. 10.   :)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2011, 01:51:05 am »
Wild lookin country there Katt, looks like he Sangre De Christos, Have a great hunt an I hope you have good luck too. Pat will be here tomorrow and we are off, pics and stories later. Justin why don't you make a trip out and we will do some back country riding, and I have a to die for trout stream far from civilization and full of fish, did not get to make it this summer and am really bummed about it.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2011, 01:09:05 pm »
 >:D Thats the divide as the background for the bow pic lol. Were hunting just north of the Henderson mine. Tough trails beautiful country we are rite up on the divide 12500 feet gota love Colorado. Headed back up tues or wen. The Elk werent starting rut yet when we were up last  weekend. Had to come back down new baby granddaughter born Tuesday.  ;D Had to be here for that. Hope u guys have fun and get a couple down.

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2011, 04:14:46 am »
Congratulations on the new granddaughter katt  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2011, 11:15:09 am »
Any body heard from PatB or Little John ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2011, 03:45:59 pm »
I've been watching here impatiently to hear some news too!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2011, 05:50:03 pm »
Maybe Pat and Kenneth are trying to figure out how to get that monster rack off the mountain. Pat has a flight tomorrow so we should hear from them today or in the morning. If it were me I wouldn't come down off the mountain until I had to check in at the airport.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Little John

« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2011, 09:54:51 pm »
I put Pat on the airplane this Saturday morning and he should be in North Carolina about now. The hunting was the toughest I have ever seen it and our area seemed to be almost empty of elk. We did hear a few distant bugles  but fresh sign was almost non exzistant. I don't know where ehe elk went as they were there earlier but I was working so much that I never checked back on them the last few weeks before the hunt. The trip went off without a hitch with beautiful mild weather, beautiful country, good camping and excellent comaraderie. I am bummed out as I just knew that Pat was going to have his chance. We never seen another hunter during our week long hunt till when we were packing out and met a muzzleloader on his way in. Pat did see a wolf from his stand and really was excited about the sighting. Here are a few pics till Pat can post his. Pat is an excellent companion for such a wilderness adventute.     kenneth
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:02:33 pm by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2011, 02:02:32 am »
I made it in this evening about sunset...and what a beautiful sunset greeted me back home.  Once I clear the cobwebs and the airline finds my back pack with all I couldn't carry on the airplane( hand made knives, tomakawk, side quiver, etc...and my camera) I'll post pics and tell stories(can you believe a wolf at 30 yards  8) ).  Kathie(Kenneth's gracious wife) downloaded all my pics to her computer last night so if the unthinkable happens, at least we still have the pics and memories.  ;)
   What a FABULOUS trip and adventure!...and I did better physically at 61 than I did at 56 in 2006.  8)  I think my true hunting soul is in the Southwest or at least elk country. I feel natural in their environment and Kenneth has given me the chance to realize it and the guidance to persue it.  8)  Thanks to you Kenneth for the opportunity and the friendship.   8)  Both are greatly appreciated and cherished. And thank you Kathie for getting up so early on Saturday morning to get me to the airport.  ;) I owe you one!  ;)
  It's 9:24pm in the high country  of the Salt Creek drainage and we would be finishing supper, having a taste of Canadian whiskey and planning tomorrow's hunt just about now. I think it will take me a few days to get over the withdrawal. I can't believe it is already over.  :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2011, 03:07:48 am »
Hope you recover your possessions that. stinks when the airlines loses ones stuff  >:(  sounds as if the trip has done your sprit well...while an elk would have been nice it has been a great thread and I wish to thank you, and every one else for the story and the pics ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2011, 03:15:44 am »
It was my pleasure, soy!  ;)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2011, 03:32:00 am »
Man that looks like a great time! From the picture looks like pretty Elky country for sure, it is amazing how they can just be gone like that. No matter how much I think I learn an area and the Elk in that areas habbits it never fails that something can change in no time. Man Pat I hope they find you bag! Keep us updated on how that turns out, look forward to all your pictures! I am also beggining to realize this year being my first year hunting with a stick bow that it is a definate handycap vs my wheel bow but it just feels so much more rewarding even being out there with it in the woods even if I am not succesfull, its also just fun stump shooting here and there while out in the woods when the Elk arent around to be found :D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Little John

« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »
Pat, I can't belive they can loose our stuff more often than not. Sure glad you did not trust the airline to get your gear to Colorado. I am like you and still going thru withdrawls from our hunt. Couldn't have been better other than the scaracity of game. I will try to get some of the pic's off the other camera down sized and up. I will be up next weekend and still try to help Elkie achive her destiny you will be with me all the way and the shot will be for you.       Kenneth

Offline PeteC

« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2011, 04:11:11 pm »
I sure wish y'all had seen some elk,but it sounds like a heck of a good time. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas