Author Topic: High country elk in September!  (Read 34145 times)

Offline Little John

Re: High country elk in September!
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 07:55:52 pm »
Sounds like my kind of camping, I have always been an industrial tourist type.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 02:43:51 am »
 ;D Little John I live east of denver bout 6 miles from Bennett Got a old but good hunting horse. Let me know. >:D

George will figure out tags later this week when i have a few minuets.  ;D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 09:22:22 am »
;D Little John I live east of denver bout 6 miles from Bennett Got a old but good hunting horse. Let me know. >:D

George will figure out tags later this week when i have a few minuets.  ;D

Katt

I can almost smell those Elk straps slow cooking over a spit!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 01:03:03 am »
 >:D A little maple and honey.......Yummmmmmmm >:D

Katt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 01:43:50 am »
Chicken fried!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:19 pm »
Pat , doubt I will ever get to make a trip like this so take a bunch of pic's. Sure glad you are pulling this off.

wolf watcher said he is older than you. Just how damn old is he ;D?

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 07:09:33 pm »
He's OLD!!!  :D    ...but he has lived the life all his life. At least I live at 2600' so it won't be as bad as if I lived at sea level.  ;D  I still have to work on my stamina and get used to my 60# back pack.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »
I wish you the best of luck Pat.  I am so glad you are getting to go back to your dream hunting grounds.  Like you said, you have to dream it first to make it happen.  Good luck buddy.

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 02:41:30 am »
 ;D 60# realy we need to talk lol  ;D

Katt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 03:10:05 am »
Katt, more or less?

Offline Little John

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 09:33:27 am »
Pat, we will get you in there somehow without the 60# pack. Maybe Kathie can run us in and take the horses home till needed, or it would be real sweet if I could think of someone ho would like to go camping for a week and do some horse wrangling/camp tending. But get into decent shape anyway and I will try to also. Luckily your primary stand will only be a moderate hike from the camp with only one good uphill haul, should take an hour or so if you take your time and take it easy, just don't be like me, I have two times gotten there 5 minutes too late and just as the bulls were exiting the shooting lane and heading to where ever elk go. Practice those 20 yard downhill shots from a kneeling position and try to get some of those elk fever pills. I am going to try and get up there this weekend.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 11:51:03 am »
Pat:  Just to put your mind at ease, I can report that the bull elk are holding up their part of the deal.  They are already sporting some big ole velvet racks. It has always amazed me at how fast they grow.  Saw a bull the other day with some three foot horns, wide, tall, and pointy!  Having someone pack in your base camp is the only way to go and then having them pack out the meat!  If I lived there I would volunteer to be your packer and camp tender!  Hunting in the high country, the swirlly wind is not your friend and it will bust you in a heart beat!  Hope you can have some success!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Keenan

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 12:25:38 am »
Pat, remember what Joe said, about the wind.  Mornings are fairly consistant but after 9 or 10 am you have about 2 or 3 minute intervals between a swirl will hitting you. Don't forget the black pepper for the hornets, misquote nets, and the thermocell.

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »
Sounds like its gonna be a good time with good company! I sure miss those Colorado mts. So u gotta post photos! Best of luck to ya!
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 05:24:54 pm »
I agree...pics MUST be mandatory  8)  Best of luck to you all!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold