Author Topic: Need log building info.  (Read 2034 times)

Offline R H Clark

Need log building info.
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:08:29 pm »
I've been thinking of building a blacksmith shop from logs.I've got plenty of pine logs 8-10 inch and have built several frame built houses.I have searched a bunch on the web and so far haven't found any info I need.I need to know how to properly cure and treat the logs to prevent bugs and rot here in Alabama.I'm sure I can build the shop but I'm not going to the trouble and expense just to have it last a few years.I intend to peel the green logs and have a porch all the way around.They will sit on a full foundation as well.I would like to know if I can frame green and then chink about a year later when shrinking has settled.

I thought some of you primitive guys might have some links or good book recomendations.I see plenty of books on how to build but not on how to properly prevent rot and bugs long term from logs you have cut yourself.

Offline wildman

Re: Need log building info.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:16:55 pm »
You may check some back issues of mother earth news , I think I have an old one that has an article on green logs to a cabin. I know you can purchase a cd rom of their 1st 20yrs
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »
I'm a member of a woodworking forum and another member there is in the process of rebuilding a log hay barn.  Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.worldofwoodforum.com/vb/showthread.php?2333-Old-rotten-hay-barn

Also PBS has a documentary called "Alone in the Wilderness" where a guy named Dick Proeneke builds a wilderness cabin on a homestead in the Alaska wilderness.  It's definitely worth watching and shows how he uses scribes and hand tools to fit the logs together. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

http://www.dickproenneke.com/

On the log curing, I would try to let the logs dry for at least a year before building elevated a good distance off the ground.  If you fit your logs green, your nice tight joints will shrink and get loose.  I think the traditional method was to lay your bottom course of rot resistant logs.  Cedar or white oak would be good and most likely available locally for you.  I'd treat the foundation for termites before building and then treat it every year after that.  You shouldn't have rot issues with the pine if it's up off the ground.  You can use a good fence and deck stain on the logs once they're dry and that'll help with weathering. 
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 05:03:37 pm »
Ryan Gill, twistedlimb, on this forum is building his log house right now in Montana. Go back a few pages in the Campfire section and you can see some of his post and pictures.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 05:54:29 pm »

Rh Clark;
     If you have black locust, you can use that for the first two or so layers, followed by oak, and then pine.  The old saying about black locust is that it will last two years longer than rock. ;)  That was the format for log home building back in log cabin days.  Being that black locust is so rot resistant, it was used as a first layer.  If you don't have any black locust around, you can do like stretch says, and use Cedar if you have it, if not then oak for the first layer, but you can raise the foundation a bit, to help with drainage, and if you are not going to have a concrete foundation, you could use a graveled footer, for drainage, but I don't know how that would be for settling and such.  Anyway, there are some good books out there on log cabin building.  Some you can find at Home Depot, or Lowe's, or the library. ;) 
    The series about Dick Proeneke, is great.  I have the book.  I read it twice.  But definitely let the logs age for at least a year, preferably two.  There are many ways of joining the log layers.  ;) Good luck and have fun. 8)

Wayne

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input.Before a crash I had "Alone In The Wilderness" on DVR. I have watched it many times.
I planned on block piers for the foundation at least every 4' apart.Thinking about using 12" block with a treated 2x12 cap before the first log.I will lag bolt a 2x10 on the inside and use joist hangers for the floor joists.I'm only thinking about a 14x16 or so but I might put in a loft just in case. ;)

I've also got about 100 tons of fieldstone and have always wanted to try a homemade fireplace.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:29:55 am »

Sounds like you have it under control! ;)  Of course we want pictures.... ;D

Wayne

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:51:59 am »
Hay! Call me when you get started. I want to help.

Have plans of building a log firewood shed much like the one Mr. Proeneke built in Alaska.  Much larger but the same type of  construction.

The wife said I need to build it large enough to use as a one car garage someday when I get to old or to laze to cut firewood anymore.  That changes the whole ballgame.  But I think I have it figured out.  Well maybe ::)

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline mstrick96

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 07:40:04 pm »
Look for a book titled "The Foxfire Book" edited by Ellliot Wigginton.  These are from the 1970s and are incredibly interesting.  Note: nothing to do with the Firefox browser.  It's FOXfire, not fireFOX.)

There are about 8 or so volumes in total, but the first volume has great information on log cabin building, including several different ways to chop the joints at the corners of the building.

These books are fantastic for anyone wanting to learn about the details of how people lived in the 1800s.

Amazon has them for about $12. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:49:08 pm »
I've got all of them, good books. The guy in the knife section, Tom Carlton, is a buddy and Karate student of mine. He makes a lot of knives for the SEAL Teams now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 01:48:56 am »

Knives for the Seal teams?!! :o  Being in the Taliban, is like being a King Salmon, life is good.....till the Seals show up!  :o :o;D ;D ;D

Wayne