Author Topic: StavePress to Compton  (Read 1820 times)

Offline jwarwick

• Paying Advertiser to PA... StavePress
    • StavePress
StavePress to Compton
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:07:45 pm »
I just had to go sometime, I have read so many articles and books by the main organizers and attendants... people like Fred Asbell, TJ Conrads, the Wenzel brothers, not to mention the history of the place... Glen st. Charles and Art Young.
Well I drove the 13.5 hours from Mississippi (saw LOTS of young corn growing along the way), and arrived at pretty Berrien Springs, Michigan.

I was immediately welcomed by very nice folks, and set up my awning in the show area even though I didn't see any self bowyers around. Well there weren't many, but I actually had the most success (sales) I've yet had at a rendezvous. As it turns out, the stick bow builders that were there were really dedicated, and the new bow builders I talked to were all ears and welcomed any advice me and others could give (not that I'm an expert).

What seems to be the norm at nearly all traditional gatherings- it rained a few times, but mercifully short bursts.
They had raffles, auctions, speakers, and dinners in the evenings and lots of Fred Bear and Howard Hill historical displays throughout the day in the clubhouse. There is an enormous camping area, 4 3-D ranges, kids range, aerial target thrower for flu-flu shooting.

I just wanted to post and thank the guys on the PA boards who stopped to talk to me. It was a lot of fun for the entire long weekend, and I saw some "big shots" of print and video fame who seem to put their pants on just like I do.

BTW- I met a guy named John Brooks who makes the best looking and shooting self bows I've ever seen!

I can say that it is a cool place to go... maybe more stick shooters will be there next year?

Jon

Buy a good piece of land and put your heart into it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: StavePress to Compton
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:58:40 pm »
No pictures? ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jwarwick

• StavePress
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:20:39 pm »
I'm kicking myself Mullet- I went alone (left my pretty wife at home this time) and I didn't get much time to get into the photo mode.
Sorry-
I noticed over on tradgang.com there were some pics.

Jon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:11:53 pm »
Oh well, Sounds like you had a good time, Jon and met some good people. That's what it is all about. If you can stand the heat, come on down to the TBOF Fall Shoot. It will be hot.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline jwarwick

• StavePress
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:32:59 pm »
Yeah Mullet,
I was planning to go to your next spring shoot... I didn't know you had a Fall one.
Is that as good as the Spring rendezvous?

My daughter lives in Gainesville- how far is Ocala from there?

BTW- I know Tom Brunofsky, who told me about your club... I think he was the founder of it wasn't he?

Jon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:53:56 pm »
Jon;

The Spring shoot is better. It is too hot here in August and from what I've seen the Vendors don't fare too good. The shoot is about 30-45 minutes from Gainesville, real nice location on a lake in a huge oak hammock, with bears.

I met Tom 2 years ago. He bought one of my Bamboo backed osage bows, real nice gentleman. He told me at the time that he was the first President of TBOF.

Eddie
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:06:22 am »
Sounds like you had a good time Jon, I have thought about making that shoot sometime,usually just got to much going on that time of year. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jwarwick

• StavePress
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:36:15 am »
Hey Pappy,

You know for us Southerners- it is a LONG way to go. But I did enjoy this gathering and getting to know another geographical circle of friends.
Some familiar faces up there were Gary Davis, Jim Pyle from JP Enterprises, Big Jim, and another vendor fellow that was at the Tenn. Classic whose name I cant remember.

And you know what? These Yankees are nice folk too.  :D

Jon