Author Topic: Three ply strings...How?  (Read 10727 times)

Offline johnston

Three ply strings...How?
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:30:24 am »
With help from halfeye my strings are getting almost decent. However even with the 3R's jig instruction I can only find the "braid pattern " for two plies. Can someone please tell me the twist sequence for three?
Thanks.( And if anyone needs the 3R's jig and video PM me and you can have it for shipping.)

Lane

Offline BowJunkie

Re: Three ply strings...How?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 01:49:16 pm »
Not to sound like a smart A :o :o
But I would think it is just like a 2 ply flemish twist, but you just throw in a third ply.
If I am wrong, Please by all means someone clarify for us.
Thanks
Johnny
Johnny
in Texas

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 03:15:18 pm »
I've only done 1 3-ply, and I did it exactly like a 2-ply.  I didn't think it looked good enough to be worth the extra effort so I haven't done another 3-ply.  I received one on a bow once that looked pretty nice.  Maybe I just stink as a string maker? ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:12:02 am »
To clarify.. do you twist over the top ply as normal or do you alternate the three?

Lane

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:25 am »
That's what I did, but again...it was the only one I ever made.  I remember it being tricky to keep the plies in order.  I may have to go do another one just to remember.  Sounds like a good excuse to order that spool of tan B50 I've been needing. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:50:14 am »
johnston ,

A three ply Flemish twist string is made in the same manner as the two ply string, there is no braiding involved only twisting.

I think you are getting confused with the so called Scottish twist or Scottish braided string shown by some on this site where, if I remember correctly, the loop is twisted as in a normal Flemish twist string but the tails are what you would call braided. It is claimed to be a quicker thing to make, I have my doubts and also believe the braid would be too elastic and rob the bow of cast. Anyway back to your question I have only seen the "Scottish twist" done as a two ply but would imagine a three ply one would be done like any flat 3 ply plait, sorry braid.

Craig

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:54:50 am »
3 ply and 2 ply are made the same way.  3 ply make better looking strings that are more round. I make 3 ply for  Michigan wolverine fans ( gold, blue snd white) but even my own bow strings that I make are 2 ply.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 03:55:33 pm »
All I make is 3 play. To me it makes a nice, rounder string. I usually do 3 play of 5 strands each. B50.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:48:57 pm »
Diddo on Bevans' comment.It's really not any harder than two ply to do just twist as much as you can and keep on wrapping over the one you just wrapped.Does help to put enough or extra bees wax on before you start.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dbb

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 02:03:05 pm »
When doin 3-ply i always have a nagging feelin that i should have one more hand ;D
Havnt done more than testing so it might be better with some practice..

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:36:23 pm »
I've done a few.  Same as two just repeat the color mantra the whole time.  Red, yellow, brown or whatever your colors are so you can keep them the same.  They look great and I usually do a 4 strand of each.  So a 12 ply.  I do them for friends because of the look.  For my bow I keep it simple and just use two colors.
Kevin