Author Topic: Legs or Back, Whats your pleasure?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline BigNocker

Legs or Back, Whats your pleasure?
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:56:46 pm »
Im going to sinew back a bow.  I've read about using both and have conflicting reports on which one works best, the long flat back sinew, or the short but plentiful leg tendons.  I need some clarification.
"Hail to the king baby!" "Balls of steel"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Legs or Back, Whats your pleasure?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:58 pm »
I'm thinking either would work just as well but as afore mentioned the legs are plentiful :). I'm no expert but if you alternate lengths, overlap a tad and glue up right legs work great. The long backstaps are just really handy for tying on points and fletching among other things.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:19 pm »
I used to back a lot of bows with sinew, I got really tired of pounding legs out.  Nowadays I make glue from leg tendons and save the back sinew for projects.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:17:08 pm »
You can get really long leg tendons if you cut them the right way.  I am going to do a How-to this fall on cutting them.  I get rear leg tendons close to 18" from whitetails
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BigNocker

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:19:28 pm »
Do I have enough of either to cover it or should I find someplace to order some more...Ive got about 5 good pieces of back tendon and maybe 4-6 pieces of leg tendon.  I don't know the specs exactly but it a flat bow style about 67" to nock and tapering down from maybe 2" wide.

My one other question is if I use the back tendon should I break it down farther than what I would for stitching or fletching? Or should I use it as a heavy thread.  The heavy thread bundles seem really thick.
"Hail to the king baby!" "Balls of steel"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:01:08 pm »
I've only used leg tendon to back bows with.  I use back sinew for any time I want longer threads.  I'm not sure 4 leg tendons is enough to back a bow.  6 might be.  I usually put on 2 layers, both at the same time, and have the second layer not go all the way to the tips.  Lately, like JW, I don't sinew back much.

George
St Paul, TX