Author Topic: She says I have too much bow wood!!  (Read 11529 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: She says I have too much bow wood!!
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 11:11:45 pm »
John, do you have a dust ruffle around your bed?  You would be supprised how many staves will fit under a bed ;D   And if you wait till the wifes out shopping to move them, she will never know ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 11:17:48 pm »
John, do you have a dust ruffle around your bed?  You would be supprised how many staves will fit under a bed ;D   And if you wait till the wifes out shopping to move them, she will never know ;)

Now thats an idea outlaw!! Thanks my wife will think I cleaned out the corner of my front room hahahahaaa >:D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline John W. Cooper

• Bronze Bow Archery
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 10:39:47 pm »

Now that's genius!  We just celebrated 3 years of wedded bliss.  I'm sure I'll find little things like that to do when we've been together longer.  ;-)

John
It is God who arms me with strength
   and keeps my way secure.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
   he causes me to stand on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle;
   my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
~Psalm 18:32-34

Offline mstrick96

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2011, 01:02:53 pm »
 ;D  My wife asked the other day, "This might be a dumb question, but why do you need more than ONE bow?"

Keep in mind that I am a rank beginner!!  I have made one red oak board bow that broke and one successful one!  I only have a couple of boards waiting to become bows.  No staves.... yet!

OH Well!!! ::)

Oh, another thing that happened yesterday....  I took my bow in to work to show it off.  We have a bunch of bowhunters and general outdoors enthusiasts.  A couple of guys asked me how much I would charge to make them one.  I was flattered and told my wife.  Her response was, "Tell them we have too many other things to do around the house!"   :-\  ::)

By the way, this September we celebrate 44 years of happy marriage!!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2011, 01:10:54 pm »
...ask her why she needs more than one purse... or more than one pair of shoes.  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2011, 01:23:59 pm »
I might be having this problem soon I have an large elm log now to split up some mulberry billets on the way and some osage staves on the way plus I am about cut some persimmon and hickory as well and maybe some pecan she is going to flip when I am all done lol under the bed sounds like a bet she will never know lol.  Congrats on the long and happy marage

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2011, 01:41:46 pm »
Nice,

I just say "Yes Dear", and keep stacking.

Got three or four ton of various woods picked up all over.
All before it occurred to me that Bow Building might be something I'd like to try.
So nearly none of it is of suitable size for stave wood or billits.
All Walking Stick, Cane or Staff material.

Now I am beginning to acquire some Bow worthy Stave wood.
She rolls her eyes at me like a moon shined mare with each new piece.
I tell her, "Honey, you can't count this wood in with the other stuff, Its for building Bows"...

That and I got most of the wood out of the bedroom.
Which seems to have helped a little.

;D

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2011, 01:57:17 pm »
Hey MDS65, that is a stunning recurve!!!  Underlays...never tried that one.  So do you thin out your Osage limbs (how thin?) I would guess you heat and bend your Yew 1st then after your Osage is heated and bent you glue on the Yew underlay? and leave them clamped to until they cool and the glue is dried?  Lovely work!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2011, 04:29:11 pm »
Hey Lee, you got it.  I thin the out limb in a taper to about 3/16 or a 1/4" it depends on how thick the underlay is.  The added benefit to this is the wood is much easier to bend when it is that thin.

Mark