Linked Events

• N.C. Primitive Skills Rendez: October 03, 2008 - October 05, 2008

Author Topic: North Carolina Primative Skills Rendeszous.  (Read 97160 times)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: North Carolina Primative Skills Rendeszous.
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2008, 11:13:53 pm »
Me and Hillbilly put in one special request for next year.  5 degrees cooler during the day and slightly overcast.  my face got sunburned pretty good, with a nice set of coon eyes from wearing the sunglasses all day.  Still trying to get about 60 pics going.  OK, the pics are done.  I am going to split them up for some of the dial up people.
Here is Montana working on a knife handle for a stone knife he was working on.  If I am not careful, he is going to get better at knapping than I am.

Cane atlatl darts.  Those things are fun.

Glassknapper from paleo getting in on the action.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:50:17 pm by madcrow »

Offline madcrow

« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2008, 11:42:44 pm »
Here are a few more.

Offline madcrow

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2008, 11:46:28 pm »
Here are the last for now.  Maybe someone else will chime in with some.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2008, 08:31:07 am »
Looks like a great time,and lots going on.Ya it was hot here also.Did yall have a good crowd ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DBernier

« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2008, 08:37:29 am »
I will put the stats up later with some photos Pappy when I get my act together today or tomorrow.

Dick

GlassKnapper

« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2008, 12:49:17 pm »
Nice pics Madcrow, had a great time, and thanks for the help and guidance. Also thanks to Dick and Jim for putting this on! 8)

Offline madcrow

« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2008, 12:56:04 pm »
Some of you folks have turned Montana into a monster.  He has been in the driveway all morning building little fires and bugging me to throw the atlatl.  I am headed to the woods in a few minutes to cut some long shoots for darts and get them started drying.  HE is wanting to make his own atlatl.  It was nice to meet you guys and thanks for everything.  I cleaned out my knapping box and came up missing a pressure flaker and two abrading stones.  I guess I will have to kill another grinding stone and I am glad that I pick up one of the pressure flakers from the guy that you bought the whole blanket full of stuff from.  Oh, thanks for the magazines, now I have something to ready inbetween the new issues of PA.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:00:15 pm by madcrow »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2008, 05:14:26 pm »
Had a great time, and enjoyed getting to meet a few more PA people in person for the first time. Already looking forward to next year.:)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2008, 07:30:13 pm »
First, I want to thank everyone who participated in this endever. Thanks to PA for the box of goodies and also to Eddie McCann (madcrow) for his knife as well as Tim Mooring for his bone neck knife. Thanks to Pat Brennan for the two bows he made and Don Ward for his bow accessories. The 50# self bow was won by Patrick McFatridge from Michigan. Patrick was looking for a ride up from Charlotte where he was working, got one, finally made it, then won the bow. How lucky can you get. The youth "set" was won by Dale Truitt of Burlington for his son. Nice deal.
  There were approximately 317 people including children who came to "bug" the guys. We had 15 people registered to demo and do some flint knapping. All in all a good start. Below are some random shots.
   First is Dale and the youth bow he won. Second is the start of the set-up on Friday and the third are some points Jim Cornwall and Tony Flint found in the area.

Dick

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:09:30 am by DBernier »

DBernier

« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2008, 07:34:40 pm »
More, and I believe these people L to R, are Kevin Strader, Alan Shook and Chuck Piper a friend of mine who helped on the parking. Second photo is a view looking downrange and the third is a couple of cases of points Jim Cornwell knaped.

Dick

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:07:10 am by DBernier »

DBernier

« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2008, 07:36:45 pm »
More

Dick

DBernier

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2008, 07:38:56 pm »
More photos, and the first is Wade showing the technique of using the hand drill to a perspective "victim". This guy and his family really got hooked on the primitive aspect of our event. His wife was interested in the cordage aspect of it. They even stayed and helped us break down the camp. The second photo is Jim Cornwall "doing his thing" and the third is the raffle table, some what depleted.

Dick

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:16:00 am by DBernier »

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2008, 09:01:30 pm »
A big thanks again to Dick and Jim for all the work they did to make this happen. It was a great time.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline ahawi stick

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2008, 10:01:11 pm »
First I gotta thank Dick and Hardaway for making the first N.C. Primitive Skills Rendevous happen.
This was the first event I have ever attended, it definately will not be the last. Me and Colton, my 9yr. old son both had a great time. Met some top o the line folks and got to share the campfire with several of them. Looking forward to next year! :) :) :)
" The Right To Keep And Bear Arms"..Bows, Arrows, Spears, Celts...  Kevin , North Carolina

DBernier

« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2008, 09:42:48 am »
Here is a good shot of Lee throwing a dart taken by a friend of mine, Tony Hawkins.

Dick