Author Topic: red oak backed ipe' (and drywall tape,sorry)  (Read 5626 times)

Offline goatfarmer67

red oak backed ipe' (and drywall tape,sorry)
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:08:19 pm »
hello everyone.i posted this here because i thought i seen another bow moved here because it had fiberglass drywall tape
on the back.just got done with this,my third bow.its a 1/8" red oak back on a piece of ipe',58" ntn,cow hoof tip overlays
and pin nocks.its only 1" wide at the handle and tapers after mid limb to 7/16".and,cuz i was skeered a piece of drywall
tape glued on with tbIII.its about 62# at 27".and very fast,i mean,to me,a novice,i cant believe it.it has about 1 3/8"
set,and add about 1/2" string follow right after un bracing.i hope the tiller is good,wich is mainly the reason for the build
anyway.i didnt know if you could back ipe' with red oak.but that is what i had.
thank yall
ken

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: red oak backed ipe' (and drywall tape,sorry)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:56:25 pm »
very nice tiller!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 12:49:56 am »
agree with Josh tller is nice. The tips seem to be blended well with the back too.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:40:29 am »
Nice tips, and great tiller
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 09:57:56 am »
 :o Very nice Tiller. With that wood combo, it should be whipping those arrows like rockets!!!
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:18:47 am »
Looks Pretty dang good to me.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline goatfarmer67

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:10:12 pm »
thanks for the comments everyone.and scottd,the back is not trapped.it is flat on the
sides with nice radii on the corners.should i have trapped it?
thanks,
ken

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:56 am »
That thing is beautiful.  I personally love the fiberglass tape colors.   

Now, what does "trapped" mean?  Not to hijack the thread.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline goatfarmer67

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 06:28:52 pm »
nah,i dont think it was highjacked.trapping means to make either the back or front of the bow narrower than the other,
so that the sides are at angle instead of parallel.like a trapezoid.it makes the narrower face weaker than the wider one.that way
if you need to allieviate some compression or tensile strength so as to not overpower the opposite face,you can.
or so i've read ;D

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 12:03:55 am »
Excellent, text-book tiller profile, and good explanation of trapping.  :)
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline johnston

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 08:42:29 am »
ken it sure looks good to me. Fast is fun.

A comment if I may...The bow that got moved was mine and it was moved because it wasn't all natural materials. The non- man- made philosophy is what sets PA apart from other Traditional sites and it promotes and attracts better boyers because of the skill level required.
But.. not a soul said a disparaging word about the tape to either one of us. I truly believe safety should be the first concern and that pushing the limits comes after skills are developed. Most folks on this site are individuals able to stand alone and conforming is not required. We build bows for ourselves to use not to post for ooo's and aahh.s. Your bow suits you and will serve you well.
 I hope neither of us has to use fiber glass on our future bows. But I ain't throwing the tape away.

Lane

Offline goatfarmer67

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 04:33:59 pm »
lane,i aint throwing my tape away neither.and i surely did not mean to insinuate that i would be looked down upon
for using fg tape.i just wish that i could have made it to the "bows" part of the forum.this place is great,and everyone will help if
they can.i really appreciate that.hopefully my next prospect will qualify as primitive bow.thats my goal,and it is for myself
and not impress others.and i appreciate your comment too.
its all good,
ken