Author Topic: My daughters horse/ A miricle occurred  (Read 5048 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: My daughters horse is being put down this morning
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 09:37:45 pm »
 Sorry for your daughters loss. My daughter and wife both have horses. Last year my daughter horse colliced and she stayed up all night walking him. Lucky he came though. Tell your daughter our prayer are with her
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: My daughters horse/ A miricle occurred
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 05:13:06 pm »
Stretch, thank you for the info.. I was misinformed because there is a vet here that does that surgery..

Well folks thank you so much for the prayers!!  I know God hears our prayers, even when it comes to horses. It really is a miracle because yesterday morning the vet didn't think he would make it through the day and Easy was in excruciating pain and he didn't want him in that much pain much longer.  Thank you all!!! 

If you are familiar with horses or from Kentucky you might recognize the name, Easy Jet horse...

Thank you all again folks and amigos..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 12:05:58 am »
Easy is a great big horse. He was a race horse and he said that colic is very hard on big horses because they have such big intestines. He said he had only seen one other horse this bad off make it. Didn't give him much hope and prepared us for what he thought was going to be the inevetible. Thank God he pulled through!! Before Easy we had a 32 year old horse, Gus that had to be put down. We had him for three wonderful years  and he was Hannah's first horse. That was devestating and it broke our hearts. He had bern named after Gus on Lonesome Dove. We have had Easy for four years now. He's just 16. Great big beautiful animal. Hannah does horse shows with him in 4H. Lots of folks have offered to buy him at horse shows. His great great great grand daddy was Bold Ruler. Same bloodline as Secretariat. So I hear:)  

I posted a pic of him and Hannah and Easy above when he couldn't get up and in the worst of it all.

Thank you all again for the prayers!

Blessings,
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 01:04:42 pm »
 ;D I was hoping that things would work out. Congrats . Having 9 horses we have had to deal with colic in several horses. Ask the vet what causes colic is the most and she said it could be a number of things. What we have found is that it can be a lot of different things. Most often its to much grass not enough water.And sudden changes in weather. Like 90 one day and 60 the next which happens here a lot. If its in the 90s we add water to our horses food morning and evening it helped a lot we have a lot less issues with colic after we started doing it. We also use a product made by Silver lining herbal equine products. We have had great success with the immune builder when the horses get the sniffles and the colic ease when they start to feel uncomfortable. I keep a tube of Banamine paste in the horse med bag, but very seldom need it.The banamine is about 10.00 a dose and the colic ease is about 1.00 a dose and they both work about the same and both take about 1 hr to work. We have figured out that when we see any of the horses looking uncomfortable,kicking at their belly or swishing their tail when there's no wind or bugs.we give them a dose of colic ease and it goes away.Hope this helps. If you want to know more about it feel free to pm me. It would take me pages to tell you all i have learned about colic and the causes.

Katt
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:07:25 pm by wildkatt »
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 07:20:41 pm »
Stretch, thank you for the info.. I was misinformed because there is a vet here that does that surgery..

Well folks thank you so much for the prayers!!  I know God hears our prayers, even when it comes to horses. It really is a miracle because yesterday morning the vet didn't think he would make it through the day and Easy was in excruciating pain and he didn't want him in that much pain much longer.  Thank you all!!! 

If you are familiar with horses or from Kentucky you might recognize the name, Easy Jet horse...

Thank you all again folks and amigos..

I'm very glad your daughter's horse recovered and happy to help in any way I can.  Praise the Lord.
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 11:31:49 pm »

Glad to hear he is doing fine again! 8) 8) 8) ;)  Looks like you have lots of info for any more events of it.  I have Friends in Townsend Montana, and they have two horses, one, I Think is Cash Dollar, anyway, he was spotted by an inspector at a dog food factory, who noticed the tattoo on the inside his upper lip.  He did a little followup on him, and found that he had earned his previous owners, over a million dollars racing for them.  I guess that doesn't warrant being turned out to pasture after he is no longer in the winners circle, so anyway, he was bought by a cowboy, who works for various cattle ranches, and worked him for several years, and then decided to sell him, and my Friends heard about it from the Cowboy, and they bought him and another horse.  It is cool that you have given a good horse a good home.  I hate to hear about horses going to dog food factories, because they can no longer race, or people just got tired of them.  We have Lion Country Safari down here, west of West Palm Beach, and they get horses, and such for lion food.  Too bad, I know some politicians that would fill that slot perfectily, except the lions probably wouldn't eat them, because of professional courtesy....... ::)
Shame for such a wonderful animal to end their life span like that.  Anwhoo, glad to hear Easy is up and back to the "Easy" life again. ;) 8)  Now get back out there, and get all those snakes that you have been neglecting since Easy's episode. ;) ;D

Wayne

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 04:51:24 am »
Thank The Maker!

Good News Indeed.

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 11:22:35 am »
Katt that's some good info.  Very helpful and much appreciated.  This is our first experience with colic and what a traumatic one too.  Gracias amigo ;D

Wayne, we were happy to get Easy from a lady here in town.  She was done with him and we got him for a fraction of what he is worth.  Could not have afforded him other wise, but you are right, too many horse go to meat plants after they have finished performing on their intended purpose. 

Stretch, I forgot you lived in Texas.  Does your wife work on all animals?  Did she go to A&M?  My daughter wants to become a vet and she is smart enough and tenacious enough to. 

Amen Gus.  Amen. 

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 12:20:05 pm »

Stretch, I forgot you lived in Texas.  Does your wife work on all animals?  Did she go to A&M?  My daughter wants to become a vet and she is smart enough and tenacious enough to. 

Yeah, my wife went to Hardin-Simmons for undergrad (I did too) and to A&M for vet school.  She only works on small animals.  The tenacity is the important thing as it's a long road.  Vet school is harder to get into than med school due to the much smaller number of vet schools (Texas has 8 med schools and only one vet school).  It's a very worthwhile goal and if she wants to work with large animals she'll have an inside track as the number of large animal practitioners is decreasing.  I wish your daughter the best as she pursues her goal.
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 01:29:28 pm »
 ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline criveraville

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 05:36:08 pm »
Stretch, thats pretty cool.  I know.. I went to TSU and was a pre-dental major.  All my study friends that wanted to get into vet school became doctors and dentist ;D  She loves horses.  Thank you. 

Patrick, that pic is just about perfect ;)