Author Topic: Small Town USA  (Read 2080 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Small Town USA
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:48:18 pm »
While driving this morning, I came up on a stalled car.  It took me a minute to figure out what was going on, but once I did, I got out to see what I could do.  In the meantime, the cars were lining up behind me.  By the time I got to the car, three others were there to help.  We pushed him to safety and he thanked us, telling us he had someone on the way to pick him up. 

I've lived in three very different parts of the country (southern, middle, and north).  I've travelled around most of the USA visited another 25 some odd countries.  I've thumbed around Europe, train hopped, and stayed with strangers.  I've seen more than I could have imagined growing up in a town of 800.  I remember a quote I read at the Anne Frank Musuem in Amsterdam (don't remember who said it, but probably her):  "Despite everything, I still believe in the inner goodness of man."   I agree completely!  North or South, small town or big city, United States or not, the average person wants to do good to others.  This may sound naive, but I've seen enough and met enough people around the world to find it true.  My experience this morning (outside the third largest city in the US to boot), confirmed this.  The Southern hospitality is alive and well, but it's not only in the south and it's not only in small towns.  I just thought I'd throw this out there.  Most of us hear all the negativity in the news, but we are surrounded by goodness too....
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline triggerfinger

Re: Small Town USA
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:57:38 pm »
ive also traveled extensively and found this to be true.  be nice to people you dont know and youll find yourself surrounded by friends
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:58:51 pm »
Jeff, good deeds and good people apparently aren't news worthy so it seems lots of folks now days think everything and everyone is bad. Makes for better news!  ;)
     When we were in Chitown a few years ago we found most folks very friendly no matter where we were around that great city and out to Elmhurst. Not that other big cities are not friendly but that Midwest charm is almost as cool as Southern hospitality!  ::)   :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 12:34:34 am »
I agree, there are good people everywhere, you just have to brush off, and forget about the buttholes and remember all the good people you meet. I used to work in Joliet, I met some of the nicest people I've ever met there, and it wasn't even the South. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 02:34:23 am »
I agree, there are good people everywhere, you just have to brush off, and forget about the buttholes and remember all the good people you meet. I used to work in Joliet, I met some of the nicest people I've ever met there, and it wasn't even the South. ;)

In my experience most of the butt holes are just good people on a bad day.  Lord know i can be stinkiest of the lot on the wrong day.
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:40:09 pm »
You're right, I've been known to be one occasionally. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?