Author Topic: Hitting the ground running  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Catalyst

Hitting the ground running
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:38:46 am »
Greetings everyone!

First off I'd like to say hi to everyone as a new member of this board. If this isn't the correct place for first time posters my apologies, I figure since this this sections is called Around the campfire, and I've met a few people for the first time around a campfire, well, you get the idea.

So, now that that's all done with, I'm in need of some assistance. I currently reside in east texas, frankston to be precise. I picked up an issue of primitive archer a long time ago, and ever since then I've been wanting to get to work on making some bows. Since then, I've been looking things up on the subject, but regrettably I just can't do anything with a wall of text, I need hands on experience. I've tried scouting the area for someone skilled in the art of bowyering, but I've got nothing. I've even checked around dallas, and still nothing. A contact I've been in touch with said there are several bow makers in the area, I just don't know how to find them. So with that said, here I am ready to learn all I can about bow making (as well as blacksmithing and tanning hide which it seems many people know a thing or two about!).

So, does anyone have any leads for me? I'll be scouting these forums in the mean time soaking up all I can.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Hitting the ground running
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:51:46 am »
Catalyst,

Welcome to the madness. :D I live just NE of Dallas in a little burb called Saint Paul.  I will be working on a bow this afternoon.  Come on over to my shop and we'll get you started.  I have osage staves laying in the driveway that need a bow to be made out of them.  I love to help new bowyers.  I can't help you with tanning or blacksmithing though.  PM me and let me know if/when you'd like to get together.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:27:48 pm »
Catalyst,

I'm up in Lindale. I'm new to bow making but I build furniture for a living and have a large, fully equipped wood shop, and you're welcome to come up any time and I'll take five minutes and tell you what I know about making bows.   ;D  Or, we can just invite George down, and we can make some bows, grill some meat, and have a good time. 
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:37:45 pm »

Well Catalyst, See?  Seek and ye shall find! ;) ;D  You just can't beat this site!  There is a whole lot of help just sitting here, waiting for someone to ask for it! ;)

Wayne

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:08:32 am »
Catalyst is coming by tomorrow after work, gonna be fun.  Mark, that's a great idea, just let me know when.  I have a couple guys coming to my shop next Saturday and I suspect we'll do something similar.  You're willing to join that fun if you're free.  Then, the next weekend we're headed to the lease for another hog hunt/flint knapping extravaganza.  O, I better post a thread inviting everybody.  I'll try to get some pics tomorrow of our bow work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:45:44 am »
this really makes me wish i lived in okc again....however my diesel bill would go up
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:44:24 am »
We got together tonight and started on a bow.  Catalyst wants to make an ELB, so we picked a relatively narrow stave.

We launched into chasing a growth ring.

We made it not quite half way before the light faded and we went outside to shoot bows (and the fence once). ;D

Very fun.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Catalyst

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 05:33:06 pm »
Had a great time George, and much to my amazement, even though I couldn't feel some of my fingers that night, as well as having the suspicion of a blister, I found my hands to be in perfect shape in the morning.

Def had a great time, will have to do it again!