Author Topic: Another question  (Read 5444 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Another question
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 02:21:52 pm »
You are learning fast George..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 02:31:55 pm »
The 9th & 10th looks good for me.  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 03:06:40 pm »
Maybe you already know this stuff but here are a couple of drawings.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:25:00 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 03:40:02 pm »
Well, knowing it and doing it are 2 different things.  I still don't pick out the centerline of the piece like you guys do.  When the spall has 1 really flat side and a big hump on the other I struggle with moving the edge high enough to drive flakes off the hump.  The one in this thread is better than most.  I'll get it, and I appreciate all the advice.  I figure it'll make sense as I keep working at it.  Right now I don't even know the point names.  Had to look up a stemmed point so I could do one.  Then I realized I'd already done one without realizing it.  Spending some time with Patrick in a couple weeks will give me another boost.  Seeing somebody do it and then doing some hands-on is the way to go.

Thanks all,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 04:59:21 pm »
Sweeet. Can I get a signed print?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 05:02:50 pm »
no joke, some serious artistic skills around here...
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 05:35:33 pm »
point looks nice Geroge, on the obsidion ya really have to support the area behind where you're flaking once it gets thin especially the tip, and they dont have to be pretty to kill something, check out what billy berger hunts with in PA this month, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline neuse

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 10:44:51 am »
Hey George, that looks good. It doesn't take you long to learn.
I need some of those lessons.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 11:04:10 am »
Thanks, I think Patrick's gonna be at Cross Plains weekend after next so if you're free come and join us.

Iowa, I took your pictures and one of my old failures that had a big hump on one side and made another stemmed point out of it last night.  Forgot to take a picture though, but it didn't look any different than the point in this thread, only smaller.  Might bring it in to work to weigh it tomorrow.  Anyway, thanks for drawing up those pictures, it was helpful.  You got some drawing skills bud. :)

OK Bub, I'll try another one tonight.  Ricky's coming over to work on his bow and I have the tarp set up so I can be in there with him and chip too. Got the fan blowing right on us.  ;D

Life is good.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 11:21:16 am »
Your welcome.   Your point looks real good and you are learning real fast keep up the good work. Sounds like you are getting tarp time and that is real helpful.  Good luck if you need any more drawings just let me know.  I like drawing because it is easier than setting up a photo.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 01:04:45 pm »
Looks good George! Your moving right along. Man, i wish this work thing didn't always get in the way of my fun..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 04:05:47 pm »
   Looks ok for someone just starting just keep at it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 04:23:38 pm »
Ricky came over last night to work on a bow and brought his knapping stuff.  I stunk, broke 1 point outright, broke off the ears on a nice obsidian point I just about had done, and then messed up 2 leaving them too thick.  Ricky, on the other hand, knocked out a beautiful point from some untreated flint he was bashing about twice as hard as my heat treated flint and 10 times as hard as the obsidian.  Frustrating.  I'll get back at it tomorrow night I hope.

Everything gets in the way of fun.  My grass is getting so tall I'm gonna have to buy a goat.  I'll have to run the string trimmer and mower for a couple hours before I'll get any knapping time.  Plus, I have a new yew stave I'm playing with.  Even my fun gets in the way of my fun. ::)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 11:44:28 pm »
I hear ya I have to cut grass before I can finish two arrows I need for the TN shoot but I really want to knap flint but I really want to start my new bow.  The thing is tomorrow the wife has a to do list for me so I guess what I will be doing.   

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 11:37:53 am »
I did something fun the other day.  I went back to my first day of knapping and took the middle point in the right of this picture

(that I had quit on it because I couldn't get that hump out of it) and gave it another try.  As you can see, I like stemmed points because they don't require notches. ;)

I didn't take the time to sharpen it much, but I might put that one on an arrow.

George
St Paul, TX