Author Topic: one interesting/ frustrating night  (Read 1565 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
one interesting/ frustrating night
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:09:19 pm »
so, last night i decided i wanted to try fishing at our cottage for the entire night and pull an all nighter watching the rods ad doing some casting, as in our area the striped bass fishing has been pretty good lately. so me and my brother got there at 7ish, i got the rods baited and set them out there. by the time i was done it was starting to get a little dark out and i figure, ok, it shouldn't be long now........12am-nothing, i have been carving some wood and waiting for bites for 5 hours now, so i decide i should check my baits so my brother helped me and it turned out that all our bait was gone. so i now had to get my hands coverd in fish again and set them back out.......2am- i hear a noise down by the beach in the direction of one of  my rods, turns out we have a raccoon problem :(.............
well that helped keep me up the rest of the night,(which by the way was very foggy so it was even more weird and added to the feeling of paranoia that was developing from having to keep lookout for the raccoons )  in the end no fish, but it was an experience i will NEVER forget ;)
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline stickbender

Re: one interesting/ frustrating night
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 11:54:36 pm »

Dang Fishfinder, that's to bad.  Sorry to hear you got skunked.  But even "I" learned a long time ago that you can't catch fish on credit! ;) ;D ;D  However, Bluefish is the only big fish I know of that you can.  When they get in a school, and start the feeding frenzy, you can catch them on a unbaited hook.  You can catch small bait fish, on little gold hooks. ;) They sell a little rig that is just a series of monofiliment  loops, with a small red plastic ribbon woven through them, and those small gold hooks in them, and we used to use them to catch bait fish, when the schools, would come close to the jetty's, or piers, or shore, or.....out of a boat.  Never paid much attention to the real names of the bait fish, some said they were pilchards, others said something else, I didn't care, all that I was interested in was that I could catch them with the little rig, and sometimes without it, just the little gold hooks, and then I would have bait to catch fish, I could take home to eat. ;)  yeah, those raccoons can be pain in the arse, and some of them can be quite bold.  But for those.......it is Pop!  Hmmmm...... ::)hmmmmm...... ::)hmmmmm ::), ok, now to put the .22 back in the truck...... ;D  Well, get back out there, and keep trying.  Check on your bait a little more often.  Could have been Crabs taking your bait, or eels.  Were you using live or cut bait?

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:57:47 pm »

P.S.

Oooops, I forgot Tuna will hit an unbaited hook when in a school feeding frenzy, also.  Could be more that I don't know of.

Wayne

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:04:37 am »
i actually just recently go one of those things with gold hooks recently, haven't used it to any effect yet though, any other ways to solve the raccoon problem without a rifle, would a fire keep them away, and it was cut bait, menhaden(pogys, bunker) and mackerel.
thanks
noel
PS: am i the only one who enjoys bluefish, everyone i talk to says they taste terrible and think they are junk bu they re one of my favorite types to eat  ;)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:30:03 am »
Man, I need to get my boat wet...  :-\

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:43:09 am »
those gold hook things ae called sabiki rigs,  just sayin
I have nothing witty to say.......

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 03:13:32 am »

I personnally love blue fish, and I don't cut out the fat strip.  My cousin worked on Fire Island in NY, for some rather wealthy people, and they lived close to the water.  One day she saw some people fishing, and she asked one of the black servants what they were catching, and he said Blue fish, but nobody eats them.  Too oily, and they don't taste good.  :P She said if you can get a couple, I will show you how to cook them that you will love them.  He said ok, but he didn't know of anyway to make them taste any better.  So the next day, he brought her two nice sized fish, and she told him she would fix them the next day, and he would love them.  He just smiled, and left. ::)  So she fileted them, and soaked them over night in milk,( some people soak them in salt water)  and then she broiled some in butter with lime juice, galic powder, and salt and pepper, and some she fried.  Well when the guy came back, she had him try a piece of each, and he at first didn't bellieve it was blue fish, :o and she finally convinced him it was, and then told him how to fix it.  So he is now very happily eating bluefish. :)  I like them like they are, and I just filet them, and broil them in butter, and lime juice, with oinons, and garlic powder, and salt and pepper, and a little cajun seasoning.  I also fry them.  I love Mackeral the same way.  Kingfish I like slow cooked on the Bar B Que grill, with Bar B Que sauce.  But I do love Blue fish, and Spanish Mackeral!  Those little loops, and hooks, have been out for quite some time.  First time I saw them was in the early Sixties. ;)  So if they are still making them, they must still have a demand for them.  Thanks, I never could remember the name for them, or if that is the same brand or not.  Not too much you can do to keep Raccoons away, especially at night.  They will stay in the shadows, and come somewhat close, so that you can hear them, and occaisionally see them.  Just throw something at them, or ignore them, or get up and stomp our feet, and run at them a short ways.  But they will come back.

Wayne