Author Topic: Cross Plains, TX Get-Together-2  (Read 4990 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Cross Plains, TX Get-Together-2
« on: June 27, 2011, 03:09:45 pm »
Would like to invite the north/central Texas folks (actually anybody who wants to come :)) to another Cross Plains get-together July 8-10.  Again, this will be at our deer lease where the conditions are rustic but the fellowship is good.  We have 4 feeders going for hogs and if the wind is right there are 2 archery tree stand setups along with 2 portable pop-up blinds.  (I normally use a rifle on the pigs as I REALLY like wild pork. 8) but I will bring bows this time.)  The lease received an inch of rain last week which normally gets the hogs moving so hopefully we'll see more this time. Last time we primarily knapped, but perhaps this time we'll do some stump or distance shooting as well.  If anybody wants to work on a bow I would be happy to provide assistance.  We split the food and I saved a large roast from last time's boar to cook in the dutch oven for Saturday afternoon.  I should arrive at the lease about 6pm on Friday, July 8th and we'll finish up sometime after lunch on Sunday the 10th.  There is a flat area to pitch tents and the landowner has worked to kill the fire ants out of that spot.  Again, there's a shed with 2 bunk bed sets in it but it is a deer camp so the Hilton it aint.

Respond if you plan to come.  Thanks.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Cross Plains, TX Get-Together-2
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 04:42:19 pm »
George...you guys sure you can't slide TX up a little closer to us Yankees?   >:D  Take LOTS of pics...
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:50:26 pm »
Georgy, I'm gonna be down south during that weekend.. I know I am gonna miss out on a grand old time  to :'( :'( :'(
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 06:23:20 pm »
I've got a chainsaw I haven't used in a while...I hope it still runs good.  I want to get as much juniper as possible before deer season! ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline criveraville

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:47:43 pm »
Patrick will you post a sad disapointed picture for me because I won't be able to make it????

And I gotta have a happy exuberant picture on my daughters horse thread...

Georgy, Diego sure is disapointed.. And he wants to know if you're gonna shoot another hog in the hiney???
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:58:28 am »
Too bad, it won't be the same without you.  Sterling is trying to make it.  Tell Diego that I'll hold out for a neck shot this time.  If the wind is good I'm gonna try with the selfbow and one of my stone points.  Once it gets dark, the NV comes out.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 01:22:39 pm »
Awwwe..dat's too bad Cip.  Weally sad here...I guess that leaves all those yucky, nasty materials for me to gather all for myself....

(just kidding, of course  ;D)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:49:14 pm by jackcrafty »

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:56:08 pm »
Il try to make it but it will really depend on work and well money lol il keep you posted
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline criveraville

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 05:13:19 pm »
Well, I changed my plans and looks like I will be making it after all.  Hope to bring a few chainsaws to help out with the wood cutting... Maybe I will find another snake on the way ;D ;D  Oh yea..

Patrick, are you brining the boys again?  Can you bring that Anazazi bow down again?  I wanna look at it again. PS.. thanks for the pics.. Perrrrrfectl...

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 05:23:10 pm »
Yep, I could bring the boys.  Is Diego coming? I'll bring that bow too. 

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 05:29:43 pm »
OK, OK...need pics of ANY Anazazi bow (please)  ;D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline criveraville

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 05:32:50 pm »
Cool Patrick,, Yes, he will be with me..

You ought to see it Lee, super cool

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 05:54:59 pm »
Lee, I posted a mock-up of an Anasazi style bow a while ago.  I used thread instead of sinew.  I've got several juniper staves that are fully dry just waiting to be converted into this type of bow...with real sinew this time.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,21598.msg294115.html#msg294115

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 10:32:05 am »
Just a reminder to bring this to the front.  Dallas and surrounding area Primitive Archer folks, we're headed out to the deer lease near Cross Plains, TX this coming weekend for some bow shooting, flint knapping and hog hunting.  I plan to arrive around 5pm this Friday, the 8th and leave after lunch on Sunday.   Come join us if you can.  I know Patrick plans on getting a bunch of juniper staves this time as well.  I'm going to haft some flint points on my primitive arrows and try at least 1 sit for hogs with the self bow.  Will also have the night vision equipped rifle if you'd like to try that.

Would love to see y'all there.  PM me for directions if you're able to come.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 03:16:50 pm »
Well, I changed the family vacation to attend, but I won't be able to make it until Sunday morning after all. But still lookng forward to seeing y'all there on Sunday.