Author Topic: Cross Plains, TX Get-Together-2  (Read 4989 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Cross Plains, TX Get-Together-2
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 11:52:28 pm »
We had a good time, it was HOT though!  I forgot to bring a point to haft on an arrow for the night's hunt.  Patrick had brought both heat treated and raw Texas flint. 

I tried some raw and failed miserably.  I tried a treated spall and did better, but in the end I chipped a point out of a thin spall of treated and opened up the trade point slot on the arrow to get it to fit.

Then, pounded some sinew and ended up with this.

I was very anxious to introduce it to this boar, that came in to the blue feeder the previous evening.

I sat in the bow stand there.  Here's what it looks like from the tree.

But, I had no luck.  Moved to the blind after it got too dark to see to use the night vision scope but I didn't have any better luck there.  Sometimes they have my number.

Patrick did some exploring and came back to camp with these.  It's the second time he's found arrow shaft material, he sure knows what to look for.

We had a good time, no pork rode home with us but some arrow shafts did. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 02:14:53 am »
That's practically in my back yard. I know work sounds like a broken record but dang ya'll seem to have a lot more time away from it than me :'(.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 01:26:49 pm »
George, I put my batch of really thin shoots in the sun yesterday to see if they would check.  So far no cracks...so I'm leaving all the other shoots out in the weather today.  In a shady spot, just in case.

I'm pretty sure the shoots are dogwood (probably roughleaf).  I've looked at pictures of the leaves, bark, and berries of several native Texas plants but I'm still not sure.  I would post pictures but I forgot to bring my phone to work.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:43:01 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 01:38:31 pm »
Paul, get yer butt down there as soon as you can.  I've purchased a slot on the deer lease and I'll try to be there twice a month.  No excuses...OK partner? ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »
As I look around the web at other plants, the shoots are looking more like some type of privet.  The berries give it away, I think.  I won't know for sure until the fall. :-\

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 01:59:39 pm »
Will do Patrick. I have got to get me some no worries, breaking rocks, splunkering around time in ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 02:17:38 pm »
That's practically in my back yard. I know work sounds like a broken record but dang ya'll seem to have a lot more time away from it than me :'(.

Paul, I had waxed eloquent on life choices and stuff, but it was too stuffy so I deleted it.  It'll work for you to get out there and we'll have some fun.  Patrick's setting up a primitive camp site, I'm anxious to see what he does.  Let us know when you get some time and we'll be sure to be there.  It's hot enough now that it isn't as comfortable as it was before.  The company is always good though. ;)

Hmm privet you say?  Does that make a good arrow?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »
Privet makes excellent arrows!  So does dogwood.  Anything with a small pith and dense wood will work. :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 04:57:19 pm »
Good Looking Point Sir.... :)

Going to have to make it up there to one your your outings soon.
I'd sure love to learn a bit about knapping.

Still haven't had a chance to get my NVS setup on my AR and shooting yet but will have it ready by the end July.

Maybe I could come visit before deer season if you guys have another get together.

Best Regards,

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX