Author Topic: points  (Read 2028 times)

Offline archerforlife2

i am going to try and get some rebar red hot then flatten it then turn it into a point not sure how well this will work but here goes nothing will post pics later if i get anything eventful out of this
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline sadiejane

Re: points
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:02:26 pm »
sure will take some serious heat to get rebar red hot aye? using a torch? i recently made a few "trade" points outta some old spoons. worked really well actually. sorta shiney...but functional.
yea, please show the results, id love to see. i'm always looking for scrap metal sources for making points
wild women don't get the blues

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:18:57 pm »
 This is one of the points sadijane made for me. I used two of them for this display.

I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 01:44:05 am »
those points are really cool and yes it worked!! made one point little smaller than hoping for but first ever attempt at this  ::) and yes it took a bunch of fir firewood and a shopvack in reverse  >:D the point is 1/3/4 long and 1/2 wide

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 02:43:46 am »
There are easier ways, rebar is high carbon, but better for stakes than much else. Nice point, though.  I slobber cutted a circ. saw blade tonight, got seven blanks from one 7 1/2" blade.  Used the pattern from TBB2.  Used a cold chisel to straighten my slobber cuts, and a bench gringer to form.  Not sharp yet, but functional.  took me about 25 min. each. only worked two down to shape, though.  I've been working a length of 1 1/8" bandsaw blade too, w/ a chisel and bench grinder.  Makin small game and bird style points.  I'm gonna send this then try to post a pic. I got the dial-up and...it's slow and unpredictable. 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 02:46:44 am »
yeah im going to experiment with difrent types of metals its fun that proboally took me an hour

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:29:40 am »
There goes the rest of that bag of pretzels. I've been here an hour trying to down load a pic and it tells me it's too big.  DAGNABBITT!!  I'll try again from somewhere else.  Maybe start my first thread.  Take care, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 04:34:59 am »
working on my forge all most done will  finish it tommorow morning i am excited  ;D

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 03:31:23 pm »
I cut alot of mine outta saw bldes with a dremel, dosn't get hot enough to take the temper outta the steel, Bub
I cut knife blanks out the same way
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 04:09:42 pm »
have used old teaspoons. they make kinda cool trade points. used a propane torch to heat as i pounded em flat. otherwise they retain some of the "spoon" shape. marked out a point with a felt tip and took em to the grinder, finished up with the belt sander. then sharpened. simple, and cheap!

(thats what the one hillbilly61 posted is made from)
wild women don't get the blues

Offline johnston

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 02:14:14 am »
afl2 if you open a free account on Photo Bucket it will automatically size your photo files.

Bubby what dremel bit you using to cut metal?

sadie I get tons of scrap metal banding material at work. pm me if you want any.

afl2 what type of forge are you building? Any pic's?

Lane