Author Topic: deer hide backed white oak  (Read 14894 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
deer hide backed white oak
« on: June 19, 2007, 07:47:58 pm »
Here's another tree I gathered from NC. Got the log home, split it up, worked one stave down close and put in the house - all the other staves stayed out in the shop, ruined with splits. Oh well got some sage now.
 Thought I should put some kind of backing on it since it is oak. Made some rawhide outa a deer I took last year, turned out pretty. Got the reddish wood with black tips look from Gordon's last bow, really liked that look! 66" n/n, tiller's off and it came out real light - 40#'s @ 28". Went to Sparky's site on here (Roger) and followed his direction's for the laced up handle, made a string to match the bow's color - red and yellow.
 It's fun to shoot being as light as it is, may use it for the 3-D ranges, can shoot it all day no problem. Ya know forty pounds is legal to hunt with too - wouldn't use it on big game, but rabbits and scralls look out ;D.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

Re: deer hide backed white oak
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:51:33 pm »
Few more.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »
Dang cowboy dats a pretty bow, tiller isn't bad either. Not sure what a scrall is but they better
watch their hides, if they have hides ;D Nice job ya got hang of this now.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:34:34 pm »
very nice bow . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm prickly pear

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 10:08:37 pm »
wow thats amazing. I ts almost as good as my red oak board bow backed with drywall tape ;)

it much better than my bow will ever be
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 10:26:07 pm »
i cant get over how cool that bow is I love the backing and the color of the wood
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 10:28:40 pm »
 Nice bow Paul. You are really comin' along there fella !  "Scralls"="Tree Rats"=" Squirrels"= Yummy, lunch is on !...bob

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 10:35:28 pm »
My, my, this bow is certainly a beauty. Well tillered with nice graceful curves. Oh, and I like the painted tips  8)
Gordon

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 10:43:05 pm »
Great lookin stick there, ya done well
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 10:49:40 pm »
I guess it isn't bad for a rock breaker.  ;) Seriously, it is a great bow Paul.  I love the color scheme.  What kind of coloring did you use on the tips? Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 11:58:17 pm »
Thanks fellers!! You got it Bob - scralls, don't know where I picked that up - prolly from one of the kids. Far as building stuff - endeavor to persevear has always been in my vocabulary :), now if I can just get the wife off my back.
  Jamie - what's your address? I'm going to mail you some prickly pear ;D. Thanks David, that hide backing isn't hard to do at all - the red look is Rit dye from the grocery store. Preciate it Gordon - knew you'd like that color scheme :), wasn't stealing your look - let's just say I got inspired. Hey Justin - ha, ha, you wouldn't think I could work wood as bent and twisted as my hands are from beating on rocks ;D, their not as bad as that oak tree was though. Had to do a lot of heating and twisting, bending etc. Learned something on those tips - after I flipped em the string didn't cross the handle any more, good experience, had to redo em.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 11:59:00 pm »
Very nice Paul. Your color scheme along with the rawhide backing are striking. You got the tiller good you just took off too much wood! ;) Each one after this will be better than the last.  I've had mixed luck with white oak. I built a very fast 66" flat bow years ago but the last couple have been fat and slow.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mack

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 12:09:44 am »
Great job cowboy,  an eye catcher for sure.  What did you use to color the black tips? dye also?  Like the leather work on the grip too.

mack
NW Alabama

mack

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 06:05:14 am »
Very nice cowboy,That is a beautiful bow,Tiller looks good and the finish work is gorgeous.Well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 08:10:17 am »
Yea Pat, that hunk of wood started out so heavy I thought I might take it elephant huntin ;D, I didn't take off much at a time - used a scraper only once I got it bending. That tillering thing is a real head scratcher for me, what's a good way to really fine tune once you get close to finish?
  Hey Justin, and Mack - that tip dye....hmm, not sure what all is in that recipe? Naw, that's permanant marker again - hey it was handy ;D. That new masking tape they sell now, it's blue - works real good without any bleed through.
  Thanks Pappy, man if there was any money in these self bows and arrows I'd be doin it full time - still a very rewarding hobby.