Author Topic: Simple "D" bows... Anybody making em"???  (Read 25993 times)

Offline gpw

Re: Simple "D" bows... Anybody making em"???
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 08:05:56 pm »
We found that with a constant thickness from back to belly , and a pyramid limb shape , they almost tiller themselves.. a true "formula" bow... made a bunch that way ... out of boards... polyester camo net backing made all "safe"...

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 09:47:01 pm »
I cannot help myself, but all true pyramids I made (flatbows) felt spongy at brace. All else being equal but thickness tapered bow does not. This might be of course because of way (process)  I tiler them.

Jaro

Offline Traxx

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 10:47:19 pm »
Like Jamie n Bob,Bout all i ever build too.When i do build somethin.Id like to see a pic,of the offset Dbow,if at all possible.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 12:29:35 am »
I have to say a D bow is easier to tiller for me. No fades to mess with bending to much or not enough, just a simple smooth even bend all the way through. The English longbow with its narrow thick cross section and flowing arc of a circle tiller is the easiest kind of bow to build in my opinion. Its harder to screw up the tiller with a narrow deep cross section because you have to remove more material(thickness) to actually make a change. Thats why I always suggest a newbie starts out with a D style bow because the place beginners most often make mistakes is in the transition area right at the fades on a stiff handled bow.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 12:37:49 am »
I have a tendency to over tiller the center of bendy bows, getting too much bend or set there. I really like the simplicity of them, though.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gpw

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 10:26:14 am »
 Unfortunately, all the offset bows have either been sold or given away..so no pics for now, but that may change , got a nice mulberry stave (cut it down on the archery range in the woods, we never miss a good tree hahaha) and a cedar log about ready,harvested from my woods... perfect for some nice longbows ... also have a laminated edge grain bamboo board (flooring I think ) that  was given to try out... might make a perfect D bow, with a little thinning...
 for those that are too bendy in the handle , we have wrapped on a small slat of wood onto the belly (like a handle), then linen cord wrapping... stiffens it up just a bit ... and easy to try out , longer slat for stiffer handle...I suppose you could use a piece of bone /horn , but then it would be a composite... hahaha...easier to tiller right in the first place  ::)
 to try offset , draw a line down the center of the stave board , and move the tips 1/8" to the left of this line , if you're right handed... opposite for leftys... when tillering , watch out for limb twist , pretty easy really and non critical for us primitive bowyers... ;D

We started the kiddies out making longbows out of rattan ...(ancient PA article)  rounded sections and arc of a circle tiller easy to work for the kids and they practically tiller themselves.. Rattan /bamboo, we used to get from 1(800) 4 Bamboo...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:29:53 am by gpw »

duffontap

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 01:56:06 pm »
Ryano,

As far as being a good beginner bow--I agree with that.  Handles and fades can be very tricky for beginners.  But, I've rarely see 'D' bows with perfect tiller--and never from a beginner.  Building a a bend-through-the-handle design with even limbs is not easy and building one that follows historical parameters is extremely difficult.  An English Warbow should bend perceptibly in the handle--but not until you've reached your last three inches (or so) of draw.  Let's see a beginner figure that one out. :o  Elliptical tiller hides mistakes in it's ever-changing profile and with stiff tips and a stiff handle section you only have to work 2/3's of the bow.  You do have to remove more wood to visibly affect the tiller but this also temporarily hides mistakes that lead to crystals and mysteriously broken bows. 

I harp on this because I believe that the various English designs are really some of the most difficult to build perfectly and people always treat them like child's play.  There was a reason why the English had a 5 year apprenticeship for learning to build a 'stick bow.'

J. D. Duff

Offline Kegan

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »
As far as building one form a board- that would be alot easier than a stiff riser, but IMO I think that trying to get a wild stave down to an even thickness throughout, tha might be a little harder. But they doseem easier because they are simpler. And they actually become easier with practice. Like the hand drill versus the bow drill. Simpler in design, and simpler in practice.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 06:15:54 pm »
I find them pretty quick and easy, too-another bonus, they're reliable, and shoot well. I'm not really worried about getting the seal of approval from the English, either-I just make 'em like I want 'em, don't really care how somebody on the other side of the ocean says that I have to make 'em. Those are the same folks that hunt and fish with neckties and suit coats on. ;D My D-bows are usually more Eastern Woodlands Indian style than English, anyway.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline gpw

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 07:32:48 pm »
  I now defer to two quite interesting articles in ... what else ...Primitive Archer...
Volume 2 issue 3(1994)   article on the D bow , by Greg Harris , and "see what's really there', by D.M. Kissinger... that should explain more ...Love that PA , what a great magazine

Offline gpw

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 07:39:06 pm »
How do you guys post pictures here..??? would like to show off some of my "tackle''...

duffontap

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 07:59:13 pm »
You can either use a link to a web hosting site with the code or:

When you have written your message click 'additional options' at the lower left of the text box and then choose your file from there.  They need to be 200k or smaller each. 

J. D. Duff

SimonUK

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 09:14:15 pm »
Those are the same folks that hunt and fish with neckties and suit coats on.

Now now Hillbilly, you'll make your bows the way we tell you to. Otherwise our queen will come over there and smack your bottom.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 10:45:51 pm »
  I think she already tried that before. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 10:56:19 pm »
I do like the arc of a circle tiller but prefer the slight bend in the handle elliptical tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!