Author Topic: Simple "D" bows... Anybody making em"???  (Read 25992 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Simple "D" bows... Anybody making em"???
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 10:57:46 pm »
        With Jawge on this one......bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 10:17:27 am »
Yup. Jawge knows the score.

Simon, I figured I'd get something stirred up  ;D ;D Send miss 'Lizabeth on over here with her paddle, I'll be waiting, I'll even cook up some groundhog and poke sallet for her. :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 10:19:14 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 10:50:06 am »
JD, while I respected what you and several others or doing with these replica type bows, I don't think thats for every one. I could care less if my bows are tillered to anyone else's standards to be a "English long bow" ::) I make them to How I see fit. I see where your comming from though. :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

SimonUK

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 01:01:36 pm »
I'll let her know you're waiting Hillbilly  ;D Seriously though, I'm sure more ELBs are made in the US than the UK these days. I've learnt a lot about them from you guys.

Offline Loki

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2007, 01:09:36 pm »
I'm not really worried about getting the seal of approval from the English, either-I just make 'em like I want 'em, don't really care how somebody on the other side of the ocean says that I have to make 'em.
Call it a Hillbilly Longbow then  :D

Just funning with you mate,i have no idea how to make Bows!  ;D.

Those are the same folks that hunt and fish with neckties and suit coats on

The aristocracy hunt like that and they aint English  :D,well they used too untill us Plebs stopped them doing it  ;D :D ;).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:20:40 pm by Loki »
Durham,England

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2007, 07:21:02 pm »
 ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline gpw

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2007, 01:04:24 pm »
Beginners rarely get anything right ... I made /broke a lot of bows before I got some real good shooters...
Saw a D kiddie bow out of hickory ... just a slat , no taper nada... little handle cushion wrapped on (more for appearance than anything... ) shot a small dowel arrow pretty well , for something so simple ... size was 36" x1"x1/4" .. now if I doubled those measurements... i should be able to reproduce those results, only bigger ... with some limb width taper , can get it so shoot better ... maybe ... ::)... Is there a formula bow lurking in these experiments ???

Offline gpw

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 10:31:14 am »
Went over to the guitar shop on Wednesday (consulting job)... poked around in the woodpile and found some nice ash... 1/4"x2"x36"...layed out a simple pyramid shape D bow with offset tips,cut it out on the bandsaw... now in the process of final shaping (pointy tips) and adding side nock.. string will be tied on the other tip...almost tillered itself..
I know , it's kinda' short unless you're a bushman.. Just a test bow ...  saw a table in a very old popular Mechanics giving relative dimensions for different wt. longbows... pretty close to what we want to do , but all a bit too light..

Eyed a nice superstraight piece of Wenge , but I think that's gonna' be a bass neck ...schmaybe' I can get the scrap ... Wenge seems like it "wants" to be a D bow...

Offline gpw

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 09:00:31 am »
  Reading an article in an old PA this AM on "offset bows"...I notice there's no mention here of same ...I made a few in the past and they worked very well...perfect for those fat handle/non center shot, D bows...some offset as much as 1/2 "...Works !!! Any of you guys tried it???

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 10:24:58 am »
Unintentionally, gpw, off set strings usually serve only to raise a gigantic bruise on my forearm. I usually flip the bow around and shoot it the other way. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gpw

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2007, 09:57:22 am »
 I do cheat and use an armguard made out of a 6" x1" strip of purpleheart ... sure saved alot of bruising in the past , and much cooler than my buffalo skin (and size) full laced armguard... We've been practicing a bent arm technique , lately where we never(well almost never) thwack our arm ....I use a rather primitive crouching in the bushes sorta' shooting stance with the bow canted about 50 degrees...unorthodox in Archery circles... but works for me ...
   Starting on a bamboo and walnut D bow ...Perry reflex... 36" long x 3/4"wide ... something for shooting in the office...  :o 

Offline Dane

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007, 10:02:21 am »
What a great idea, an office bow! Do you like your coworkers? :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline gpw

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 09:24:55 am »
Not particularly !!!! hahahaha  Shooting bamboo skewers at a squirrel target sure puts the fear in them though...hahahaha  It's GOOD to be a primitive guy ...hahahaha ;D

Offline Dane

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 09:59:57 am »
lol. Well, being a primitive guy also means you don't have to shave every day. My wife calls me a neandrethol for that very reason.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline gpw

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 11:33:41 am »
 love those geico caveman commercials ...hahahahaha  ...and a good growl , often conveys more than many wasted words ...hahahahaha