Author Topic: A FIRST  (Read 4198 times)

Offline crooketarrow

A FIRST
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:52:45 am »
   Was out diging through a huge pile of trashy staves old bows I'd given up on etc a while back. I keep it for who knows what mosty knife handles. I came across and osage bow 66"s with swisted limbs tips.  I cut the stwists off and had a nice 56" BOW 3/4's the way done at the time I started I did'nt make bows this short. So it's been out in the weather over 15 years. It had one bad check that wasn't on the edge but close. At the poundage I ws making it it would likely make it.
    I have'nt backed a bow in a while (years) I had some ROO rawhide but I did'nt want to use it on it. I already had a home for it. Boy down the road, I ve been bass fishing each evening in some farm ponds and I looked a my worm rod with fire line on it. When the dull light bulb flicker. Boom one 56"40#@26 bow backed with fire line. I'd never thought of this before. I know the backing will never fail. That stuff is tuff.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Holten101

Re: A FIRST
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:59:58 am »
Nice story:)

Remember that fire line has 0 strech....osage might  be able to handle that, but few wood types will.

Cheers

Offline crooketarrow

Re: A FIRST
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »
   Your right and at longer draws and a different wood it might make a difference.  It's on a straight limb self bow and I thought it might lift off but at 40 pounds it has'nt so far. Sure could'nt to it on a recurve or RD  bow.But I've only shot it a few times. I'll give it to my little friend tonight with half dozzen arrows. Sure I'll so find out.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING