Author Topic: Heavy Ash wood DENSITY TEST...pics...  (Read 11728 times)

Offline Asiertxu

Heavy Ash wood DENSITY TEST...pics...
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:28:29 pm »
Hi mates!!
Itīs been awyle since I post my last message here, so Itīs time to report some density tests I made this weekend... ;).
The test was about an Ash wood (..a log... ) I had dryinfg out for more than a year ago now an I started out an Ash warbow from...
Wel, I took a sample piece from that log I had ready for this test and I got SURPRISED!!.... :D...
LOOK:

...the sample of that Ash wood....

...as you can see isnīt completelly "cubic" in shape (I wander if this is really important to get a good density measurement...)...

...and the cristal bottle filled of water...

...and here is the result!!...

What do you guys think??
Does this test mean that the wood is 1.0 of density as the wood is completelly covered by water??.
As you can see, I wrote on the woodīs surface some reference, the midle at 50 ( 0.5 ) etc...
Thanks in advance metes!!
See you....
Asier.

//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

duffontap

Re: Heavy Ash wood DENSITY TEST...pics...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 04:17:39 pm »
Really cool pics.  I've done a couple tests like that but I've never known exactly what they would compute to as far as density goes.  Standing by for an expert to chime in.

J. D. Duff

SimonUK

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 04:24:06 pm »
Yes I think you're right Asier, it must have a density around that of water or very slightly less. Did it come from a small log? I'd like to have a go at a bow from a small log, but they have a lot of nodes that make the grain wavy. Do you have any experience of small log ash bows?

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 07:09:37 pm »
Thanks for looking Josh and Simon!!... :) :)...

Simon,
The Ash log that I got out my bow staves and this sample wood from, wasnīt small itself, or perhaps relativelly smal log,l look at the pics, and judge for your own!!..: ;)...

...the base of the cut down Ash tree...

...and the quarter splitted staves...:)...

Dimmensions where about 6" wide at one side and 5" at the other side. The log final length was about 80"... :)...thatīs my buddy Javi holding up that "monster Ash log", hehehe...

See you fellows!!
Asier.

Miles

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:45:40 pm »
This is  8)cool

SimonUK

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:55:17 pm »
Yes that's the sort of size i was thinking of. The wood in those logs seems very strong and creamy. But would all those bumps make it too heavy in places? If you make a bow out of it, be sure to post some photos  :)

Simon

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 08:18:54 pm »
Thanks Miles!!... :)..

He Simon!!...Iīll for sure do it !!!... ;) :)...
I Donīt certainly know how itīll perform right on these bumps, but the wood seems FIRM!!... ;)...anyways I started up a thread on Paleoplanet some months ago about a warbow made from just this Ash log!!... :) :)..
If you wan mates take a look...

http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm73.showNextMessage?topicID=363.topic

The thred isnīt allready finished, but I stopped up at tillering stage as I felt that the stave I had been using for the bow isnīt dryed enough to continue, so I decided to let it alone for some time an continue in the future...

Enjoy friends!!... :D...
Asier.