Author Topic: questions on cutting cane  (Read 3868 times)

Offline archerforlife2

questions on cutting cane
« on: July 03, 2011, 02:58:37 pm »
how does everybody on here cut their cane shafts i think a chop saw couldn't work would it so hat do i cut them, with? kinda a stupid question but i don't know  ;D
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline sadiejane

Re: questions on cutting cane
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:26:02 pm »
i used a small pair of hand pruners-worked great. also took the 3/8" open end wrench for reference.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 03:55:03 pm »
okay sweet thanks   :D

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:08:15 pm »
I use a hand held coping(sp?) saw to cut all my arrow woods.  It's got a 7" long thin blade and a 6" throat.  Cuts real smooth, easy to pack and handle.  I use 1, 2 and 3 hack saw blades to cut nocks and slots for points.  When using multiple blades I tape them together at the ends w/ masking tape.  It doesn't get as sticky as duct tape.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline jham

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:14:59 pm »
when cutting them in the woods i just use a pocket knife, leave extra and make a slash cut. cutting to length the easiest thing i have found was a tubing cutter, works great.

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:50:50 pm »
im going to use a high speed tubing cutter i forgot i had it  >:D it was buried underneath a bunch of stuff in my garage

Offline jham

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 08:06:59 pm »
the one i use is not a power cutter, just a simple hand cutter, you just screw it in till you have some contact, then spin then tighten more and spin again. not sure how a high speed cutter will work, definately let us know.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 08:41:52 pm »
I use hand pruners for cane and hardwood shoots. I prefer bypass pruners instead of an anvil type pruner. The anvil type tends to crush the cane and shoots. Whatever you use be sure it is sharp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:28:09 am »
I use a long knife in the woods and then the band saw or jig saw to fine tune it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:05:28 am »
 I use a jab saw (plumbers hacksaw) in the woods and a dremel tool with a metal cut off blade in the shop.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 10:01:47 am »
hand pruners and band saw when dry.
john 3:16

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 10:58:11 am »
i also carry one of those bags your folding chair comes in my backpack whenever i hit the woods. you know the ones with the shoulder strap. makes a great way to carry shoot shafts. pretty sure most here see shoots shafts and bow staves in trees and shrubs when we're in the woods.....
wild women don't get the blues

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »
depending on when you are cutting them.  hand pruners cutting them fresh.  i use a small hand saw when cutting them after dried.  i pull the saw backwards across the cane, so that the teeth do not snag the fibers.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 12:45:59 am »
i use a pair of gerber hand pruners used to use a sharp knife but stuck a angled cut piece of cane through my new waders(from an angled cut piece i probaly cut myself the cane is like a the old vietnamese pungee stick so becareful and remember that the others use the woods as well. but that is what i use in the woods and the 3/8 open end wrench is a great idea.
john
doc

Offline markinengland

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 07:32:00 pm »
The best way I know to cut across a bamboo shaft cleanly is with a sharp knife. This would be after the shaft is dry and straight.

Lay the shaft on a cutting board of some kind. Using a sharp knife and firm pressure run the knife across the shaft so that the shaft rolls underneath. Do this back and forth applying greater pressure and the balde will cut in a clean line round the shaft and cut straight through. The ciut is so clean it is ploished and absolutely without tear. straight and at right angles. It's very simple but very very effective.

I use a frost mora bushcraft knife but any good thin sharp knife blade should work.