Author Topic: Splitting Elm  (Read 7516 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Splitting Elm
« on: July 03, 2007, 05:31:03 pm »
I got a couple of large Elm staves from a kind man around my area, and now that I have them, I don't know how to go about splitting them. I've tried a little bit, but they bent instead of splitting. I've been thinking that the best thing to do is to have them sawn. If so, does any one know how I would find someone who could do the sawing (phone book, ect.)?
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Splitting Elm
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:44:47 pm »
Sean, Elm is very difficult to split because of the interlocking grain. What some do is cut a kerf down the length of the log, about 1" deep and split along that kerf. This is potentially very dangerous because the saw can kick back and cut things you don't want cut...yourself! :o
   If you can read the bark well enough to know that the tree didn't grow spiraled, any sawmill will cut your logs for you for a price.
   Others that use elm more than me may have a better answer for you. ;D          Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 05:53:05 pm »
I have managed to split a coupla elm staves before, but it was alot of work. I find that if you let it cure with the bark off first, then you split it, it works a little better than when green. Cutting is definately easier, but if you don't have access to a saw that can handle it or a saw mill, just wait for it to cure.

P.S. Get yourself a good hatchet. I don't know about any one else, but my draw knife had to be put aside till it was 1/8" from tillering :-\

axel

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 05:56:47 pm »
if they are dry it can be very tuff... if you don't want to risk ruin the stave saw it. i split mine green with axes and wedges but i have a lot of elm so often i take the chance and sometimes ruin a stave being too greedy wanting two from it.

SimonUK

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:50:18 pm »
I've never tried splitting it because I've heard all these horror stories about how difficult it is. I used a circular saw set for a deep cut (6 cm). Although I can see the advantage of using a shallow cut and splitting from that. My circular saw has got to be the best tool I have in terms of time saved.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 12:49:15 am »
  Whew Whoo!,Life must be exciting,Put on the shin guards. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?