Author Topic: Hey Trapper, osage sapwood!  (Read 23073 times)

Offline Ghost Dog

Re: Hey Trapper, osage sapwood!
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2007, 12:26:04 am »
John Strunk just sent me an osage bow with a full on sapwood back. The sapwood pulled the bow into about 3" of reflex, which it has not lost at all after about 90 shots. It is noticeably faster than a comparable osage bow, and of course it has a lot of pre-draw. John liked it so much he nearly kept it for himself.
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

Offline Little John

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2007, 01:16:59 am »
Pretty bending bow Pat and I like the artistic impression also. I see what you mean about the little extra thickness and how it could cause a bit of a thump on release. I am getting in the mood now to finish the little limb bow stave. Just need to glue on some thickness to build up the handle and get to tillering. I was going to try to decrown the back for a flatter profile, it might get down thru the sap wood and show yellow down the back with sapwood on the edges and back of the tips or would this be too much ring violation? Will try to keep the outer 1/3 or 1/2  narrow and eifel tower shaped as in my other bows .What do you think?   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2007, 10:21:45 am »
Kenneth, I didn't decrown my pole and it still holds the original backset and is quite a shooter. I was amazed how well that pole help up and how well it shoots. I did remove a few sapwood rings but left 3 or 4 on it.  Glad to see you are getting more time to make bows and stuff.   
   I was remembering what I was doing last year at this time. Hiking around with 60# back pack trying to get in shape for our hunt. Marcia only remembers how much of a pain in the butt I was them! ;D  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2007, 11:00:45 am »
  Yea Pat I have been pretty buzy but part of the reasons that I havent finished this bow is that I feel a bit over matched and under experienced. This pole just seems hold a few challenges that are not encountered in normal bows, I am having a hard time following one ring as they are hard to see but I guess if I really bear down I can do it. I guess If I dont decrownthen I should round the belly  and go for an oval cross section??? I don't know, maybe I am trying to plan it too much and should just get to removing wood and let the stave choose its own course and just hpoe I dont make any grevious mistakes.
  Speaking of back packing and getting in shape, I am going on a mountain climbing expedition in a couple of weeks, one of our local 14ers. I want to do some canyon climbing this weekend for training  and conditioning. Latst winter I did a back pack camping trip into my honey hole area and found the water source. I knew there had to be water for the cattle and elk that use the area, this weekend I want to make a trip in there and see what all is using the water, there is also a large ruin that I want to look at with out the snow.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2007, 12:21:30 pm »
Take some pics!  If you have found water, make a few blinds, depending on normal wind directions and go back after the season. Is hunting allowed in there?  ??? ::) 
   I left the back crowned and made the belly flat. That seemed to work well with my pole. If you can't get to one back sapwood ring, back it with rawhide. I have some very thin deer rawhide I could send you if needed.    Pat

ps. Hey to Kathie! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC