Author Topic: This Old Bow?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: This Old Bow?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 05:32:33 pm »
Okay,

Have the bow strung with the string that my uncle said went with the bow.
How ever I am thinking that this is not the correct string even though the string is 4" shorter than the AMO length.
The AMO is 62", the sting is 58" and the brace height is 9 1/4" measured from the back of the bow.

In any event here are a few photos of the braced bow.

Will get a full draw up once I've got the length issue worked out.

Thank You.

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »
That looks real nice Gus.  Hasn't been stored standing in the corner for sure.  Measure your brace height from the most forward part of the inside (belly side) of the grip.  If I remember right mine were normally about 7".  Yours might be a little high but it looks pretty good.  The way to tune it is to use a string that's a little too long so the brace height is too low and shoot it.  You'll hear the slap of the string as it hits the bow limbs on the belly.  Twist up the string until the noise goes away and then go a couple twists more.  That's your optimum brace height.  You want it as low as possible without hitting the limbs.  Having it an inch or 2 too high won't hurt the bow, it'll just rob a little performance.  Your new string should stretch some as well.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 08:18:35 pm »
Egad... I see.

Thank  You Sir.

In that case it is 6 1/4" from the riser right behind the arrow rest to the string.
Looking at it this way, the brace height sounds pretty good.

Man, I still have a LOT to learn...  ;D

Not that That is a bad thing...
Been reading "The Bowyer's Bible" volume one. Very good read so far.
But think I'm gonna have to read it several times to get any sort of respectable retention out of my sun addled brain.
I've always been a tough learner, as evidenced by all the scars and broken bones... :)

-Gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 09:54:22 pm »
 Like George said, most of these bows had a 7- 7 1/4" brace height. That bow looks good, limbs look straight, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »
Not behind the rest, in the handle where the web of your hand goes.  Basically it is the furthest distance between the string and the handle.  Does that make sense?  It looks pretty good in the pictures.  Wait, a picture's worth 1000 words.  Here I'm measuring the brace height on my Samick recurve.

Looks like I have it at 7 1/4".

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 11:06:56 pm »
Good Goolie Mooglie...

Its all clear to me now. Heh heh...  ;D

Thank You Sir.

Kinda remends me of a deer I shot years ago.
Nice ten point buck. Group of guys standing around my truck looking in at the head and cape.
Old salt of the earth farmer asks me "Where did you shoot him sonny"?
I said "In the neck"... it took five minutes for the laughter to die down.
He said "No Son, In the state of Texas, where did you shoot him"...

Egad, nearly clicked post before adding the actual brace height 7 1/2".
So this is the correct string length. So I can make a new string this same length and be good to go.

:)

Seems like the coffee never actually kicked in this morning.

-Gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 12:22:59 am »
Full Draw.

Try to do a little shooting tomorrow.

:)

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 11:47:48 am »
 Looks good. If you make a new string don't use FastFlight. Those old bows do not like it and they tend to come apart.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Gus

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 01:49:02 pm »
Whew...

Mullet you must be psychic...
I just got a new spool of FastFlight Plus in day before yesterday and was considering making the new string with it.   :o

Okay, so B50 it is.

Thank You Sir!
You Guys are Great!!!

-Gus

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »
Yea, good catch Eddie.  Do you have a recurve collection Eddie, or just have bought, used and sold bows like I have?  If you have a collection I really want to see it when get around to visiting Dad.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:26 am »
 George, I've got some nice, old bears, Pearson's and a few odd old bows that I will sell but don't care if I do, know what I mean? I'm getting ready to turn loose  a 63 Kodiak Dogleg in mint condition and a 64 Grizzly, zebra wood in mint, real soon. I don't like bows hanging on the wall and these need to be shooting and making meat. Or I might trade three, including these two for a 64 Kodiak or a 59. I really want the 59 to go with my 59 replica.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 03:02:52 am »
Nice, good luck with getting that 59.  For years I've had an irrational desire for one of the short riser Bear takedowns.  I keep hoping I'll run into one at a garage sale or pawn shop but so far no joy.  I certainly don't want it bad enough to pay the going rate.  I still have an old Grizzly and a newish Kodiak, both very common and both great shooters.  Anyway, back to Gus' bow.  Have you shot it yet Gus?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 04:25:32 am »
No Sir, not yet George.

Was covered up today.
Hope to shoot tomorrow.

-Gus

Conroe, TX